Train-tech lighting modules

Rate this question

Noel

Question

What are folks preferred methods of adding coach lighting and/or red tail lamps and lighting to a brake van?

Below is a clip of a Train-Tech AL2 kit I picked up with a hefty discount.  Going to try it on a brake van or a heating van.  Very simple but will only suit models that can easily be opened every few years to replace the batteries.   It has a motion sensor that turns the lights on as soon as rolling stock moves, and switched off again 4 mins after the last movement.

The alternate seems pickups from wagon or bogie wheel axles using springs rather than prosper bronze strips, a bridge rectifier, resistor and a capacitor to avoid any flickering due to single axle pickup (suit DCC or DC).  I'm not keen on the idea of batteries for coach lighting unless I can mount the battery under the coach for easy access rather than opening up.

6 answers to this question

I have used a OO kit from First Class Trains previously which included a rechargeable battery, on/off switch, recharge socket/plug/wiring, copper strip and LEDs/resistors. A red LED lamp could be added to provide a rear lamp to brake ends. You had to buy a transformer which could take 10 coach leads. They now only supply them with wheel pick-ups.

I have thought of using the Train-Tech kits for coach lighting but would prefer an on/off switch (for use when transporting stock - no point them being lit up in their boxes) and ready access to change batteries. No doubt the kit could be bashed to provide these.

Coach lighting. Train Tech CL2 'Warm White' coach lighting strip installed.  I prefer the warm yellow tint to the modern white/blue tint option. May need to tidy up a little light bleed. I like the low light levels on these units.

IMG_5260.jpg

These train tech modules are so simple to install.  I will just do a few coaches for the time being and see how long the batteries last with the motion sensor switching.  I plan to try a DIY version using DCC track power on some cravens.

IMG_5257.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Noel

Disconnect the battery unit from the light strip, and install it under the chassis with wires back up to the strip- then you can pop the battery out easier!

A tail lamp can be added to the strips at the end, the dots on the strip are soldering tabs to add additional lights- don't forget the resistor....

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, murrayec said:

Hi Noel

Disconnect the battery unit from the light strip, and install it under the chassis with wires back up to the strip- then you can pop the battery out easier!

A tail lamp can be added to the strips at the end, the dots on the strip are soldering tabs to add additional lights- don't forget the resistor....

Eoin

Thanks Eoin.  I had thought of that for future evolutions, and also the future option hooking up the strip to track pickups via bridge rectifier, resistor (16-20v AC to 3v DC) and a capacitor for flicker free operation. Tail lamp should be ok direct onto the strip as it is already a 3v bus. The MM coaches will need a little treatment for light bleed at the roof/side joint and also through the thin roof (i.e. coat of dark paint inside or tape).  I'm pleased though with how the lights look in daylight operation which is what I intended rather than simulated night ops with the room lighting off.  Now that the EGV roof is sorted its time to start some gentle weathering.

IMG_5263.jpg