Noel

Kingsbridge - DCC / Electronics

I've been trying to figure out the simplest and most cost effective solution for coach lighting and tail lamps for brake vans, coaches, etc.  I've looked at some of Train-Tech's battery offerings and others, but decided to experiment by trying to 'grow' my own.

Experiment no 1 - Tail Lamp - Runs off track DCC, no decoder required, flicker free.  Same circuit would do for coach lighting. On all the time.

IMG_3816.jpg

It's about 1978 since I last used a bread board, but I have to say its fun going back. 

IMG_3817.jpg

Components used in test

• 3v Red LED (or LED lighting strip for coach interior)
  • Bridge rectifier (converts 16v pulsed DCC/AC to 12v DC)
  • 1k Resistor to drop voltage to approx 3v suitable for LEDs
  • 1k Trimmer resistor to adjust light level
  • 1000uF capacitor - avoids flicker if wheel pickup interrupted while running (e.g. over points, etc). 

The little Red LED that I have sourced is almost the same shape as a tail lamp with a flat bottom, curved top and 1.8m lens so I will paint it white except for the 'lens' and it might pass as a tail lamp.  

. . . more to follow when I fit it to a brake van and test run on track, then a coach. Have to decide wither I will use axle spring pickups or phosphor bronze strips to wheel backs for electrical pickup.

PS: I ordered these parts only last night from Farnell and Radionics and to my astonishment both were delivered this morning!!!

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

I wonder if it might be worth painting it black and then over-painting it white, to avoid 'bleed through'?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Broithe said:

I wonder if it might be worth painting it black and then over-painting it white, to avoid 'bleed through'?

Thats a good idea. :tumbsup:

This is the LED I'm using for tail lamps http://ie.farnell.com/kingbright/l-2060hd/led-1-8mm-red/dp/1142456

Its the same one sold by Train-tech as a tail lamp.

42250824.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Noel said:

Thats a good idea. :tumbsup:

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, I might suggest using silver paint - it's generally just as opaque as black but is a better 'undercoat' for white. I generally use that for added opacity on the resin buildings, if they're going to be lit - in those circumstances you have the bonus of less light attrition from the paint surface.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

SSM have whitemetal taillamps, old and new style that can be installed with 0.8mm LEDs and 1.8k ohm resistors (included in the pack). 

A 2.2 µF capacitor in parallel with the Led will reduce flickering.

Edited by Weshty
  • Informative 1