guinness derailment

Rate this topic

heirflick

It's the derailment at the 46 Mile Box, just east of Mullingar. There is a similar O'Dea photo of the accident on Flickr.

This is the extract I posted, from the then Irish Railway News.

"Crash at 46 Mile Box

On 12th February a number of wagons on the 19:30 goods (Sligo - ex North Wall) were derailed. They piled up just on the Mullingar side of the signal cabin completely blocking the line.

It appears that a wagon in the middle of the train was derailed some distance on the Dublin side of the cabin and that the following wagons came off the road at the level crossing.

Trains were diverted via Portarlington and buses were called in until the following evening, when the siding was slewed into the running line to allow trains to pass the accident scene.

Loco A44r went down with the Inchicore crane, leaving North Wall around 3:00 on the 13th. A51r attended with 2M, the Athlone crane. Three oil tankers - nos. 1720, 1726 and 1732 had run down the embankment on the down side and two were upside down in a stream.

The line was eventually cleared by the evening of the 14th, when A44r etc.. returned to Dublin around 21:00.

Irish Railway News (May, 1971, Vol 17/2)"

Guest hidden-agenda
thanks eiretrains....mystery solved! do you you know if there has been any other rail accidents in the mullingar area?

There was one time (after we had slaved in the Mullingar shed) i staggered from Lynch,s and fell into Malochas chip shop and declared my love for the eldest daughter.=))

There was one time (after we had slaved in the Mullingar shed) i staggered from Lynch,s and fell into Malochas chip shop and declared my love for the eldest daughter.=))

........so thats why you ended up in the north - the italian mafia threatened to cut off your wobbly bits!!:ROFL:

Guest hidden-agenda
........so thats why you ended up in the north - the italian mafia threatened to cut off your wobbly bits!!:ROFL:

I think i declared my love for all of Mr lynch,s daughters as well that night i think that was the reason i got expelled and went for a feed.All joking aside i have very fond memories of the shed and station and its a crying shame to see it now its just a shell of its former glory and i seriously doubt it will ever be anything more other than that except for the photographs and memories.