Sign in to follow this  
jhb171achill

Authentic transfers

I'm just wondering aloud (partly in general, partly for our good colleagues here who make transfers) what chance there is of any of the following becoming available..... 

All too often we see pristine wagons with crystal clear snow white logos and numerals. This would virtually never be the case in real life, except for the day the new wagon left the building shops in Inchicore. Severe weathering and fading is what's needed to approach any degree of operational  realism.

So, what I seek are:

Weathered flying snail STENCILS as applied to wagons after 1955 or so.

Weathered sets of numbers of both the fonts used by CIE on wagons from the 1940s to the present day.

Weathered CIE roundels both in all-white, and white lettering surrounded with tan "wheel" as used on H and Palvans in the 1960s.

Thoughts?

If these things were cheap enough to make, I'd get a quantity done and sell off what I didn't need.

Letraset standard fonts, modern "arial" style gleaming white print just looks awful.

Good point re weathering.  Would weathering wagons after applying decals make sense to tone down the pristine white decals?

No need, though. The decals get weathered along with the rest of the wagon when the weathering paints/powders, etc. are being applied. And it's a straightforward process to distress them if desired...

19 minutes ago, Weshty said:

Garfield, I don't doubt it, but thinking of non IRM related yokes, H Vans, 7 plankers etc.

That's what I'm referring to. :)

Weathered decals? Wut? 

The solution might be an etched nickel silver plate, so one could lightly sponge on the desired amount and tone of paint. 

Existing decals can be distressed prior to use by rubbing them in your hands prior to soaking, but this can be hit and miss. 

3 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

How about a bit of distressing with a fiberglass pen? works for me.

Ah, that's how you stay so fresh-faced..

• Funny 2

9 hours ago, Weshty said:

Hmmmmmmm.  sounds like I need to fill a gap here.  Printing tonight then.

Excellent, Weshty, that was quick! I'll be along to you for some in the Noo Year....

Is it possible to do the stencil version of the snail?

Weathering of wagons after applying transfers is of course feasible, but they used to get so bad, so faded, that watery wishy-washy grubby looking numerals and decals would also be a distinct advantage. Of course, anyone striving for visual accuracy in goods trains would need to weather the lot anyway!

9 hours ago, Garfield said:

No need, though. The decals get weathered along with the rest of the wagon when the weathering paints/powders, etc. are being applied. And it's a straightforward process to distress them if desired...

Yes, I was thinking of stock other than the IRM stuff. The ballasts are already sufficiently "used" looking, with accurate reproductions of ad-hoc repainting of just a patch to put a number on, as typical for many years. Bubbles, would of course be weathered within an inch of their lives, heartbreaking as it would be to stir a 3-pack of them in a bucket of watery cement*!

What I had in mind were wooden open wagons, Palvans, old wooden goods vans, repainted ex-GNR stuff, H vans and the likes.

(*  Do not try this at home. No bubbles were harmed in the making of this comment. May contain traces of nuts. For illustrative purposes only. Terms and conditions apply.)

Blackham Transfers did/may still do weathered & un-weathered CIE dry-print transfers including solid and stencil snails, Bell & B&I container lettering http://www.blackham.co/quickorder.html. SSM produce water slide decals, each type have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Dry transfers are similar to letraset with little or no margin for error in fitting. Water slide transfers or decals are on a carrier film and are more user friendly to fit rather than dry print.

The surface need to be finished with a gloss varnish before the decals are fixed in place then sealed in place with a varnish or clear coat.

Its tricky to accurately align wagon and coach numbers, tare information etc so its better to order a custom sheet of lettering with wagon or coach numbers from Blackham or SSM.

Des produced a custom sheet of decals for lettering my fleet of Cavan & Leitrim narrow gauge coal wagons.

The decals on the coal wagons were sealed with Testors Dull-Cote and the wagons weathered with an air brush.