gloss varnish problem

Rate this question

scahalane

Question

Quick question, I varnished my a class model last Thursday in preparation for adding decals, I used Winsor Newton Gloss Varnish from a spray can, one quick pass all round from about 12" away but its still not dry properly, did I do something wrong or is this normal can anybody shed some light, much appreciated.

11 answers to this question

I have a can of the same stuff, and I've never found it to be very good, leaving a speckled finish on the model, and it did take quite some time to dry. I think the paint underneath must not only be dry, but cured, at least a fortnight. I haven't used that varnish since. Maybe take the varnish off - white spirits, and try something else.

Try this:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod842206

It's satin finish and it's almost idiot proof to use. For excellent results I suggest you warm the model. Only to the point that it's warm to the touch and certainly not hot.

The Purity Seal is good stuff, I do a lot of wargaming and have used it a lot. I use the matt version of the Windsor and Newton as a base coat for weathering powders and have found it dries very quickly, but the point about warming the model is a good one. If you leave the model in a cold shed or garage to dry then you will be a long time waiting, especially in the damp weather we've been having lately.

Thanks Glenderg, I think I'll leave it a bit longer before trying something that drastic. Should have used Johnsons Klear but unfortunately you can't get it over here.

Hi you can get johnsons klear over here my local super valu sells it.

try asking your local friendly supermarket manager to get it in for you if he or she is any good they will get it in for you

They have changed the formula for Johnsons Klear, such that it is near useless for modelling. If you use the current formula, it will not put a shine on your model, though it will fix weathering, but after a few weeks or handling and humidity, it will wear off. If you can find a shop that sells nearly out of date stuff, you might have a chance of getting the original formula.