Model Village in Wicklow

Rate this topic

josefstadt

josefstadt

There was a chap who had a model railway in his private garden near Kilcoole on one of the roads from Newtown..... he used to let people in, sadly the house was sold and the new owner had no interest and the layout was dismantled, I think in the early 2000's

Here in Kilmac there is a 3.5inch track, a big circle on very nice pre-cast concrete arch system, built a long time ago and now disused, the current owner has left nature to take it over and it wont be around for much longer... such a pity!

Eoin

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks for your replies Eoin. The setup I was thinking of was, for all intents in a field. There were models of notable buildings, including Trim Castle, Russborough House, the Obelisk on Killiney Hill. There was also a model railway but it doesn't look like 3 inch gauge, possibly O gauge. I'm attaching a couple of photos which might jog somebody's memory.

53.005r.jpg

53.008r.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

@josefstadt it most definitely does not exist, unfortunately. My Great-uncle Pat ran this with a friend, and i think it closed in the early 2000s. A few years before he passed away, i recall visiting him and being engrossed in the setup he had on his patio, using stock and track from the model village (which, as an aside, was rather grandly called Model World). Obviously his widow Jo recalled it too, as after he passed away, she gave me all the stock, etc. that hadn't been sold off. I've received several custom locos on the LGB chassis block, coaches, track, etc. I plan to start building a garden railway in the spring, but if you's like, i can post photos of the locos and stock that's currently in my dad's shed, the rest being stored in my granny's attic. I's be delighted to share Pat's creations with you- they're an excellent example of modelmaking craftsmanship, and have inspired me to build my own custom G scale models.

Also, be interesting to see the "six years later" heading above my post...

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

I can't find the box containing "Ilen", an LGB Orenstain & Koppel 0-4-0 plantation engine, two carriages and a scratch built tender. I have looked in every room in the house, and the shed, but I swear I can't find them anywhere.image.thumb.png.989f0a095bf78d2631271d847c203365.png

Instead, here's an AI-gnerated image of Number 3. It looks nothing like "Ilen", but that's ChatGPT for you. I'll post an image of the model as soon as i find it. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Just now, LNERW1 said:

I can't find the box containing "Ilen", an LGB Orenstain & Koppel 0-4-0 plantation engine, two carriages and a scratch built tender. I have looked in every room in the house, and the shed, but I swear I can't find them anywhere.image.thumb.png.989f0a095bf78d2631271d847c203365.png

Instead, here's an AI-gnerated image of Number 3. It looks nothing like "Ilen", but that's ChatGPT for you. I'll post an image of the model as soon as i find it. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Oh my God, I've just realised the ridiculous length of that train. What the hell, Bing Copilot? This is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

9 minutes ago, LNERW1 said:

Still haven't found the locos, but here's a new addition to the fleet:

image.thumb.png.3c9a20864e0f5d67d5d6e0c3eb797956.png

Picked it up at the Bray show, $20 for a G bogie coach, even still with the spare LGB-style couplers in a plastic packet. I'm going again in January!

Very nice. About 30 years ago my brother and I converted a pair to 32mm gauge and repainted them GSR crimson. They have battery powered internal lights IIRC.

23 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Very nice. About 30 years ago my brother and I converted a pair to 32mm gauge and repainted them GSR crimson. They have battery powered internal lights IIRC.

GSR crimson? What railway were you modelling?

Also, I found the locos. Pictures will follow as soon as I finish bringing in the logs. I also started a topic on the garden railway itself. To view it, click here.

59 minutes ago, LNERW1 said:

GSR crimson? What railway were you modelling?

Also, I found the locos. Pictures will follow as soon as I finish bringing in the logs. I also started a topic on the garden railway itself. To view it, click here.

Just a generic attempt at modelling a Cavan and Leitrim style coach! Managed to find a few snaps of them at work behind live steam on a very soft day. Line is now closed and lifted. 

IMG_9920.jpeg

IMG_1797.jpeg

• Like 3

Long story. The first railway was built c1991, but only lasted about 5 years. This one was built at my brother’s house, and he then moved! He’s into 009 now but is looking at rebuilding this 32mm line now the new house is sorted. If I was starting again (and I don’t currently live in a suitable property) I’d look at 45mm gauge as closer to 3’ gauge. 

52 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

If I was starting again (and I don’t currently live in a suitable property) I’d look at 45mm gauge as closer to 3’ gauge. 

Fair enough, plus it gives you an opportunity to make a feeder line in 32mm, like that British guy on YouTube who has a G scale railway( just checked, it’s Peckforton Light Railway, click here).