Bachmann 2700 DMU

Rate this topic

BosKonay

'tis a grand toy train ;)

a few good things about this set is that it sparked a bit of excitement in the irish model scene, it does look good from a distance, and she is a lovely little runner. it is resonable enough at the price and as rich said it is a good starter set. i must say that i thought paddy murphy might try a few train sets with the baby gm's!

True, it's not for everybody.

But I actually quiet like it. When I lived in Maynooth a few years back, used to take railcars in this livery quiet regularly. Yes I agree its not the right class of rail car, the bodies are too long and the doors are in the wrong place! But it is an excellent runner, smooth and trouble free. The livery matches perfect to the era I want to model (modern IE). And finally, it's the reason I'm in the hobbie at all. I bought one at Christmas from Marks Models and Im the slippery slope into Irish Railway modelling ever since!!!

Would have loved to have seen the new MM201s as a starter set, maybe a few Mk3s with it. Or a 141/181 and Cravens set. For anyone starting out the choice is pretty much all British in the shape of Hornby and Bachmann train sets.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth...

I'm pretty sure you or someone else on the forum has said that before it's really familliar! ROFL I think a starter set with a 201 in it would be very dear, as the 201s are 150 euro on their own... It would be great though... 220 or 203 and some mk2s or mk3s :D

I'm pretty sure you or someone else on the forum has said that before it's really familliar! ROFL I think a starter set with a 201 in it would be very dear, as the 201s are 150 euro on their own... It would be great though... 220 or 203 and some mk2s or mk3s :D

Yeah, it's 'economies of scale' and all that jazz, the big UK brands can do quality alot cheaper cos they move alot more product. That's the price ya pay for living on a small island I suppose. But in all fairness... we're spoiled for choice thanks to Paddy Murphy. Have added a pair of 141's and a 201 to join the railcar on my layout since.

It would be great though... 220 or 203 and some mk2s or mk3s :D

I know where you are coming from but if what's already out there ain't selling there ain't going to be any produced until it does. You only had to look at the amount of Irish stock at the show.

I know I was shocked! If I had a penny to spare I would have got a 208 but I have to prioritise... I'm guessing they will always be available, especially when Wrenniere's around!

In a word, no, a production run of a CAF 4000 as a repainted 170 (very close but not entirely correct) would need to retail at £150 to make it (barely) financially viable. A 4000 done as a perfect model eg full new mould etc would give you a model that out of £400 you would barely have enough change for the bus fare home.

Manufacturing costs are eye watering.

A 170 painted as a CAF 4000 would be possible but only if there was sufficient interest/demand

Unlikely if it needs custom tooling. The size of the market makes it prohibitively expensive.

Following much the same concept as the re-painted Bachmann Class 158s the Silver Fox Cravens in CIE colours are probably the nearest you will get to an affordable AEC Railcar Set.

While Dave seems to be leading the way with batch building 2600s and De Detrich stock, its hard to know if there is the same level of demand for older stock.

I built a pair of AEC cars several years ago using Worsley Works parts not for the faint hearted, the total cost of materials alone was over £100, as a minimum tooling would have to be produced for the roof, cab ends, engine castings and bogies.

John

I saw some of these at the Wexford show. They were for sale at themodelshop.ie stand. Those lads have some pretty tasty repaints.... Will have one of their Windhoff MPV's in IE livery yet (Even if there is no such thing, still a brilliant model!!!).

Love the 181 in freight - did you do the repaint?

Wouldnt mind getting a look at that... please stick up a few photos when ya get it Boskonay. They had plenty more repaints on offer that day (repainted autoballasters in IE livery/re-painted Virgin Voyager coaches in Enterprise livery etc...). But I'd already broke the bank by then!!!

Ahhh nice one, I've one of their 22000's (repainted and poked 170) on order too :)

the 2700 it looks the part fom a distance the finish is good its a great little runner ,maybe if over all sales are good then ,bachmann or other mainstream companys will market maybe a 2900 class.

yes i am aware that i can buy well made railcars over here but the cost makes them unavailable to me, unless i gave a massive win on the lotto.

Anthony (and others who are interested) if there is sufficient demand for a 170 done as a CAF 4000 then production is something we would look very seriously at. The other option that we've looked at is a Bachmann 150 released in Castle Class 450 livery but at present this is on the long finger as Bachmann have yet to produce a centre car that would allow a three piece set to be released

• 11 years later...