NCC Harland & Wolff kit

Rate this topic

Andy Cundick

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45248-judith-edge-kits/page-37

Harland & Woolff built 5 diesel locos which eventually went to the UTA each totally different. http://www.theyard.info/engineering/trains/trains.asp

H&W also built both main line and shunting locomotives for export to the Sudan, Canada and Argentina during the 1930s.

The main line locos seem to have been rigid frame boxcab units similar to the Armstrong Whitworth locos built during the same era.

Argentina seems to have been a leader with diesel traction during the 1930s,

On 1/8/2018 at 2:56 AM, jhb171achill said:

I wonder when the last of the South American ones was withdrawn? It would be amazing to find one in a scrapyard somewhere....

There may be a paper on the H&W export diesels in the IRRS library, there was a presentation on the H&W locos at either a London or Dublin IRRS meeting many years ago.

The Agentinian main line locos appear to have been large rigid frame units similar to the Armstrong Whitworth locos of the same era and appear to have been considered a failure, as they appear to have had a habit of catching fire when the dry grass from the Pampas that collected around the running gear ignited.

image.jpeg.a0ffdc4e85e2df24c1c913f9731dff9d.jpeg

Typical rigid frame export loco of the 1930s

H&W supplied a 3'6" gauge shunting/branch line loco to Sudan Railways their 1st diesel SR400 which may still be in existance.

HImage result for sudan railway locomotives

Sudans next lot of diesels were a 3'6" gauge version for the standard Vulcan Foundary/English Electric shunting loco that became the BR 08 with a steam loco style cab.

The nearest thing to a preserved H&W diesel is C P switcher 7000 which was assembled in Canada with imported components and originally had a H&W engine

7000_P.jpg

Edited by Mayner

• 8 months later...

The kit for NCC 22/LMSR 7057 is now available from Mike Edge, and I collected my pre-ordered one yesterday at Scaleforum. Price is £45 and you'll need to supply your own motor, gearbox, wheels, and buffers - the latter two items being available from Alan Gibson Workshop (nowadays run by Colin Seymour). Consists of 2 sheets of etched brass plus wire and resin casting for the NCC bonnet top casing. 2 sets of frame spacers are provided on the chassis fret to cater for 00 and EM/S4. No need to worry about 21mm gauge as apparently the frames were not altered when it was regauged. 

21 hours ago, Dunluce Castle said:

£45 is very good. 

Agreed, but once you've added wheels, motor, gearbox, and buffers you're looking at around £100 on the workbench. And brass is cheaper than nickel silver. There's a lot of rivets to be pressed out, some of which are very close together, and some careful curving required on the engine casing. Seems a very odd prototype for Mike Edge to do but perhaps there will be sufficient sales amongst LMS modellers of the pioneering diesels, thus making the NCC version a simple add-on to offer.

Mine's already started with the frames set out for my first foray into continuous springy beam (csb) suspension as an experiment using High Level Kits csb stuff - if I get in too much of a pickle then it'll be easy to convert to flexichas having already done the hornblocks. 

I did also see the part-built WT from Worsley Works at Scaleforum - seems nice although the rivets look very heavy to me. But once finished and painted they will get knocked-back. However, fear not the riveting as there is a skeleton bodyshell to which the overlays with etched rivets are attached by tack soldering from voids on the inside. Be interesting once the chassis is offered.