Bachmann and Hornby announcements

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

Some really good things to come from Hornby this year, while Bachmann have taken the back seat, but still good none the less. 

Bachmann - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129822-bachmann-announcements-2018-full-list/

Hornby - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129702-hornby-2018-the-full-announcements/

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Well no Little SECR Tank engines this time but a nice Blue MN, an up to date Lord Nelson (my old ones are split Chassis and DCC and run quite well so what to do with them!!) Some nice SR coaches from Baccy and Hornby so the only compliant I have is that it will be an expensive year if I chose to part with my cash. Having said that I think I really have enough Loco in my Stable at present not to warrant adding even more.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Wonder will Hornby ever take the plunge into Irish RTR?

I doubt it.  The Irish market is too small for their business model, and their level of scale finesse may not be good enough anyway given how far MM and IRM have raised the 'Irish' bar, and I'm not talking about pubs. :) Also if there is any truth to the rumour Oxford rail are to release authentic Irish Mk3 coaches there would be no room in the small market for anything Hornby might offer other than the low end toy sector.

• Like 1

"level of scale finesse may not be good enough" >> Really Noe?l, I doubt this is hardly the case.

Have you taken a look at some of their latest Offerings?.

I can only vouch for what I have bought which is mostly SR related and I can say I am astounded when you view the details on some of these models now from Hornby.

The Original condition MN are a Fantastic model.  The S15 is sublime, Fast Becoming a Favourite of mine with excellent running from taking it out of the box and onto the track, the Cab interior detail is excellent to look at. The H Class is a beauty, similarly their class 71 is a nice model too. The SR Maunsell Coaches, Gresley's, Pullmans are Fab runners (no wobbly coaches or fuzzy demarcation between colours) and excellent fine Details. 

While there undeniably are some dogs from earlier years I do think they have finesse with there current High level offerings which match the 071, 201s easily.

Maybe take another look when you next passing a model shop :)

1 minute ago, Georgeconna said:

Maybe take another look when you next passing a model shop :)

Hi George.

In fairness I will. :) Its been a while since I've inspected their stuff in model shops. Years ago I switched to Bachmann. 

If Hornby or Bachmann have any sound equipped steam locos that are close approximations to ex-GSWR or ex-MGWR steam locos I could be tempted provided only cosmetic changes and paint are needed especially if 0-6-0 tender layout.  

Having said that I'm shortly about to offload my entire collection of Hornby and Bachmann British outline stock, only keeping the Hornby-Dublo, some of the Triang-Hornby for nostalgia reasons and ye auld Lima 215s and Mk1 B&T coach rakes even though I will never run them again. Thanks in no small part to Murphy Models, this forum and other vendors including IRM, my interest in the hobby was reawakened and I have managed to switch from operating LMS/GWR/LNER to Irish stock in recent years. 

Noel

• Thanks 1

I've always had a soft spot for the class 60 especially in the triple Grey sector livery. 60070 in re-branded loadhaul was always one I wanted to see released so I guess I will have to have one. I remember seeing her at Peak Forest while visiting family in the UK. The Hornby class 60 is still easily in the top 3 of any 00 diesel models produced to date.   

Rich,                                                       

Bachmann: somewhat of a hit and mess the 2018 Bachmann is for me, but I will be getting some of the new steel sided open wagons and vans based on LNER designs with vacuum pipes. although they did another Class 40 to celebrate the diesel class' 60th anniversary, they only did D248 in BR Green with Late Crest and indicator discs. I had hope they would try doing one of the Edinburgh Haymarket based Class 40s that in 1965 had their original gangway door ends replaced with straight cornered centre headcode boxes and square yellow panels (D260-D266), an attempt not done since Lima models' Class 40 D261.

Hornby: Saw a few things that took my eye from their 2018 announcement, most notably their 15 Guinea Special Train Pack and their triple pack of Express Dairy milk tankers.

• Like 1