Chetwynd Viaduct

Rate this question

heirflick

Question

17 answers to this question

Always single track. Despite appearances, there's not quite enough room for double track plus necessary clearances. I am unaware of any plans, even tentative, ever being made to double any line in West Cork.

With just two main line trains a day in each direction, for almost all of the line's life, and no commuter service on the outskirts of the city, there never would have been any need for it.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a number of lines built as single lines, there was room left for doubling if the need arose, which probably never happened.

Would agree with jhb, would be a little too tight to be double, plus the earthworks around it would need to take double track as well if that were the case.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, heirflick said:

Lads, anyone of ye learned ones know if the Chetwynd Viaduct in Cork was a single track or double when constructed?confused face smiley Any info appreciated as always!

1280px-Chetwynd-Viaduct.JPG

that's my photograph, taken through the windscreen back in '04 :).  You'll note that the small filling station building at the base of the middle pillar is still extant at the time, though long closed.  It has been demolished since.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Weshty said:

that's my photograph, taken through the windscreen back in '04 :).  You'll note that the small filling station building at the base of the middle pillar is still extant at the time, though long closed.  It has been demolished since.

Fair play ...thanks Des!😉

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Fab photo find Stephen. I'm weak at the knees looking at that photo of the C class hauled train, which might have been green livery flying snail judging by the cars and the Caltex logo at the filling station.

If memory serves (and it often fails!) The C class in green without the whitish band didn't have the flying snail, just numbers ....can't make out the band on her....

IMG_20180111_184607_531.JPG

7 minutes ago, heirflick said:

If memory serves (and it often fails!) The C class in green without the whitish band didn't have the flying snail, just numbers ....can't make out the band on her....

IMG_20180111_184607_531.JPG

You are quite correct.  Apologies I got into the habit of often referring to the green livery as the flying snail livery which is technically incorrect. :) May I extend my most frosmodic contrifibularities to you on brining this to my attention. :):) 

• Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

You are quite correct.  Apologies I got into the habit of often referring to the green livery as the flying snail livery which is technically incorrect. :) May I extend my most frosmodic contrifibularities to you on brining this to my attention. :):) 

wtf.jpg

• Funny 1