Sign in to follow this  
Mike 84C

A good read!

Have just finished reading "Saga by Rail: Ireland" by J.I.C. Boyd  pub; by Oakwood  Press. Although Boyd is not my favourite railway author  I have really enjoyed this tale of trips to the west of Ireland taken from the late 1930's to the early '60's, strong narrow gauge bias but a decent amount of 5' 3" . And clear photos, if a little small, one or two per A5 page.

The best thing is, a new/like new copy can be had from Periwinkle Press in Canterbury. (email  cswain1805@aol.com. )for a lot less than £16.95/e26.50. I think mine cost £9.00.

Sorry if this sounds like a book review but I had never come across this book before and thought you guys may enjoy it. I have no connection with any of the people mentioned  above.

Very good selection of photos in there,one bit that amussed me was when he went back to Arigna after closure he couldn't find it and assumed it had been demolished,can't quite see how he missed it as if it was any nearer to the road you'd hit it! Andy.

I met James Boyd forty years ago on an Indian narrow gauge railway, and got on with him like a house on fire. He was known as a reserved, indeed prickly and extremely private individual but we had a great time - shared interest in the T & D helped greatly!

Tantalisingly, many of his photos have not been catalogued, let alone published. I know who owns them now and have often offered to assist in listing them. Time, however, is of the essence...........and the current owner of them doesn't seem in a hurry. Most, of course, is of British subjects by far, and with a strong emphasis on Welsh and Manx narrow gauge, as you'd expect.

Edited by jhb171achill