RE: Buffer stops.

Rate this question

Magpie1951

Question

Hey Lads could anyone help me with some photos of the Concrete poured Buffer stops that used to be found all around the system at the end of sidings until the late 90's. I remeber a couple survivng at Claremorris , Castlerea and Knockrockery till the track renewal programme came along. I think I remember one lingering at Wicklow junction as well. Anyway would love to model a few of these so any info pics would be greatly appreciated.

12 answers to this question

Hey Lads could anyone help me with some photos of the Concrete poured Buffer stops that used to be found all around the system at the end of sidings until the late 90's. I remeber a couple survivng at Claremorris , Castlerea and Knockrockery till the track renewal programme came along. I think I remember one lingering at Wicklow junction as well. Anyway would love to model a few of these so any info pics would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Magpie1951,

The large concrete buffer stop in Claremorris was removed with some difficulty when the Mayo line CTC was commissioned in June 2007,

It's still there today-but is lying on its side away from the line,

The concrete stopper is still in Castlerea station at the end of the up siding-but part of it is covered in ivy-I'll try and get a photo of it for you over the next few days,but it may not be of great detail,

There is another one in Castlerea-but this one is covered with briars and ivy and small trees-and is located on the down side,where the old loco shed used to be,

I don't remember ever seeing a concrete stopper at Knockcroghery-over the last 25 years anyway,

The down siding there has a rail type buffer stop at the end of it

Hi Magpie1951,

The large concrete buffer stop in Claremorris was removed with some difficulty when the Mayo line CTC was commissioned in June 2007,

It's still there today-but is lying on its side away from the line,

The concrete stopper is still in Castlerea station at the end of the up siding-but part of it is covered in ivy-I'll try and get a photo of it for you over the next few days,but it may not be of great detail,

There is another one in Castlerea-but this one is covered with briars and ivy and small trees-and is located on the down side,where the old loco shed used to be,

I don't remember ever seeing a concrete stopper at Knockcroghery-over the last 25 years anyway,

The down siding there has a rail type buffer stop at the end of it

Cheers ttc0169, I must try and get up to Claremorris and get a look at the one lying on it's side. The one in Knockcroghery I was thinking about was on the end of a lifted siding at the Athlone side of the level crossing on the down side . I only noticed it on the train once after the scrub had been clearde in perparation for the new level crossing around 88/89 but I don't know if it's still there? Any pic of one of these even covered in ivy would be great.

The one in Knockcroghery I was thinking about was on the end of a lifted siding at the Athlone side of the level crossing on the down side . I only noticed it on the train once after the scrub had been clearde in perparation for the new level crossing around 88/89 but I don't know if it's still there? Any pic of one of these even covered in ivy would be great.

Ah yes-your right-it's still there today on the downside-it can be seen from the old road which runs alongside the railway,

I'll work on the Castlerea one over the next few days.

As far as I know there's one still visible on the old Tullow branch at Sallins, where the wagon sidings used to be later in life. This picture from Eiretarins shows it, I think its still there ( I should really know seen as its beside where I live :) )

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20S/Sallins/slides/Sallins_20090601_015_CC_JA.html