Small/Large Radius Curves

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

7 answers to this question

The small radius Y points work better to form a double track cross-over and are clearly seen in the original Omagh track plan. I also need to use a small radius Y point where the Portadown line swings off a curve and sweeps out the the station heading east. The track plan is a series of sketches, over multiple attempts and only starting to come clear now.

Depends what you mean by small. In 4mm scale 900mm radius is desirable, especially from a visual point of view and you could get away with 750mm by judicious use of transition curves and scenery.

Set track points meanwhile go down to below 450mm and while some locos and stock will still go round them, to my eyes they certainly ain't pretty! Ok if hidden in a tunnel, I guess.

Another factor is the length of individual items of stock. The shorter they are, the tighter the curves you can get away with. 20m coaches and 500mm curves to be avoided if you can.

David, the curves on the layout are generally anything from 760mm - 1100mm and they work well. It is impossible to incorporate a cross-over in a curve of over 1metre radius as nothing exists. Small radius Y points used together come close to providing an authentic crossover, similar to those in Omagh.

As shown below.........

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 20.50.10.png

Checkout current Railway Modeller. Somebody has done a 6x4 oval layout, copy Rev Awdry's Ffarquhar from 60 plus years ago. Set track points and curves down to 450mm, it looks really good. Small locos and four wheeled stock - just goes to show what can be done.

So, pass me the sauce, I have a hat to eat.