NIR gen vans

Rate this question

Robert Shrives

Question

14 answers to this question

Hi Just a quick one anybody got details of the NIR gen brakes - I am after the elusive roof details for the silencers and hole cut into roof.  If you have any contact details for who might have a drawing or could post on here it would be really great !

Thanks

Robert - currently gluing brake gear on bogie tankers, but staring at a pile of part built/altered NIR Mk2s. 

Robert, in view of the lack of information so far, here is a picture from which you should be able to work out the size of the roof detail for the exhaust area. The picture is of the 'Gatwick' Generator van 8911,  but since it was itself a conversion from an existing earlier Brake Standard Generator van number 911, apart from the shape of the silencer, it is probably the same, except that 911 had  two round silencers. The ventilators have not been altered at all from the original. 

5a676ecb26870_GatwickEGV2.JPG.11594ceff64e1b04b5fd5fa6170c51a8.JPG

Hi Thanks for pic.  Helps a lot. What chance you or anybody can lay hands on a side on shot. In the books I have and on the web we have all taken oblique shots !!  I have some almost head  on shots from the roof so a downwards one would be good as well.  

The penny dropped a bit of course and I will contact NIR and the good lads at Whitehead to see if any drawings to hand. 

Would anybody be interested in a  3D print version?

Robert   

Hi Robert,

I would be interested. I know that John Hazleton at Silverfox was thinking of doing a model of 8911. Might be worth dropping him a line to see if he has made any progress. I know that he didn't get around to it in 2017 , but if there is more interest, maybe he will do a run.

Newtoncork

Hi Well after a quick email exchange  with NIR fleet engineers I now have a GA similar to 9811 but for 91x vehicles - It has the roof detail for the access panel and a side shot so now I can start , however I was refused permission to upload to any forum site . If you want a copy PM me.  

FWIW the cut out is 2700mm x 1000m and for 8911 the silencer is 1800 long, 920wide and 370mm deep. Still not got the dia of the silencer on the 91x vehicles but I can now cross reference to details I have for several similar BR/ royal gen cars.

I have still left a request with NIR for any detail drawings fleet may have  so hopefully more in a while.  A big thanks to all who have responded so far!

Robertt    

• Informative 1

13 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

I was refused permission to upload to any forum site

To be fair to them, they may have some security issues and not want specific details to become generally available - the undersides of the nuclear flask carrier models are not true representations of what is really there, presumably to avoid the possibility of prefabricated devices being attached.

It's a sad reflection of our times, perhaps?

Hi Broithe,  

Yes a possible reflection , I noted in my agreement to NIR to the instruction it was a shame as vehicles long gone but I guess its policy. Certainly Bombardier see vehicle drawings as commerical items and do not share other than some GAs - which is all I got from NIR but it certainly helps.

Robert  

Well NIR fleet came up trumps and laid open the whole thing ! The generator packs were changed and after sometime in 1991 the detriot V8/ markon pack changed for a Cummings/Dale pack.  I was kindly sent a CAD of these changes - not fully detailed but a good use.

The single sliencer still offset to fit loading gauge  The dale gen pack 3185mm long so roof hole that size plus a small bit. I had wondered why the depressed section was called a bath - it does not have vertical sides. The bottom  of the  "bath" is 950mm The top is 1100. The Dale/ Cummings silencer  scales at 500 dia and is about 200mm above roof line. 1900mm long - just over 6foot long and 20 " in dia.   

Pictures in the Irish Rambler book and on Flikr show the first brakes had the Dale sets 1992-4 period but as late as 1998 possibly 915 had two still.  Over to you gents if you can look in pics and see if dates can be confirmed.

Regards and thanks to Ddu Varren for helping in spotting variations and dates

Robert  

• Informative 1