42ft Container flat - 3D FUD

Rate this topic

Noel

User Nile over on rmweb posted interesting 3D 42ft container flat with FUD option (frosted ultra detail) he's made for possible release on Shapeways. FUD option looks impressive compared to the normal WSF.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130341-42ft-container-flat-wagon/?p=3013818

Photos below are Nile's linked from his post over on rmweb via link above.

post-6821-0-69571700-1516651320.jpg

post-6821-0-23492600-1516732519.jpg

post-6821-0-02145000-1516651330.jpg

Makes one wonder what is possible in 3D with the right mix of FUD and WSF parts. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dave182 said:

That's interesting! But I'm wondering what the cost will be?!

In the link below Neil indicates a possible €15 for WSF version and €25 for FUD version.  Bare in mind you'll need to add the bogies and wheels as well as paint them, but its beginning to look a very interesting possibility.  Suggest keep an eye on his thread over on RMweb.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130341-42ft-container-flat-wagon/?p=3017372

51 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Your at it again Noel

WSF?

FUD?

WSF = Wrenneire Stuck For-words :) 

FUD = Forumite Under Duress :) 

51 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

From experience the older MIR flats were prone to distortion unless a 40' container was permanently glued to it 

Yes that can be a problem with resin. 3D plastic can be an advantage for this sort of wagon as they stay straight and true without warping.  I'm not sure about the weight though.  I have a rake of 20ft 3D container flats from another source and they run ok without loads in forward or when shunted in reverse.

• Funny 2

Just a point of information here, the US ride control bogies shown are being phased out as they are a maintenance nightmare and I think there's only four sets left in use. The Sambre et  Meuse Y33 is not available rtr or kit, but the Bachmann Y25's at £11 from Hattons is the closest available option. 

• Informative 1

Hi Well put in for 3 with buffers and bogie centres, not too expensive around £15 with brake wheels and transport from The Netherlands.  I have some Y33 / Y25 mislabled bogies to hand - they seem in short supply again so will try hunt down a few more pairs.   So now have around 20 Irish freight vehicles on the books, I guess Tara mines and fertiliser pallet wagons will make up the last.

I feel a sort of Killkenny through terminus layout with  NIR connection/ specials and a wagon repair facility or diverted trains to cope with rule one stock from across Ireland.     

The FUD at €25 looks reasonable value with very fine finish.  Despite my lack of interest in post 1975 stock and anything as modern as a bogie wagon, I think I may have to order some of these for my 20ft C-Rail Bell containers, two per wagon.  Beats the heck out of sub standard resin or brass.  3D is getting better and better all the time.

post-6821-0-25789900-1517143303_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Cheers. Memory is a strange beast,  I travelled a lot by rail in the 60s and 70s, but I have no nostalgia memory of bogie stock as a youngster, just loads corrugated open wagons and loads of h-vans. :)  It was mid 70s before I noticed Bells on rail.  Yes pity C-Rail don't do B&I line.  There used to be plenty of Hapag-Lloyd in waterford port too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Cheers. Memory is a strange beast,  I travelled a lot by rail in the 60s and 70s, but I have no nostalgia memory of bogie stock as a youngster, just loads corrugated open wagons and loads of h-vans. :)  It was mid 70s before I noticed Bells on rail.  Yes pity C-Rail don't do B&I line.  There used to be plenty of Hapag-Lloyd in waterford port too. 

Correct, Noel...it was 1970s (1971 specifically, as mentioned) so the 1960s were indeed all about four wheelers.

And naturally, a black'n'tan loco could be seen on later container trains until the very last ones got Supertrain livery, which wasn't until about 1979.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

Just to say 3 arrived in a vast box from Shapeways - loads of bubble wrap to play with later!   Lovely prints and brake wheels also obtained very fine.

Hopefully some time later this week to drill for bogies, hooks and brake pipes.  Should finish just in time for the RTR version and the A class to haul- just saying !! 

Robert     

34 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi 

Just to say 3 arrived in a vast box from Shapeways - loads of bubble wrap to play with later!   Lovely prints and brake wheels also obtained very fine.

Hopefully some time later this week to drill for bogies, hooks and brake pipes.  Should finish just in time for the RTR version and the A class to haul- just saying !! 

Robert     

Hi Robert.  Thanks for info.  Did you order FUD or WSF versions?  Which model did you go for A-1, A-2, A-3 or A-5 (i.e. mounts for Cambrian or Bachmann Y25 bogies, with or without buffers, etc)?  Thanks Noel

PS: If you get a chance to post pics that would be great.

Wow. I'm weakening despite these being before my era. Methinks a rake is in the offing. For 3D the FUD versions almost appear to be bordering on IRM levels of quality even if not complete RTR (i.e. bogies, paint and decals required to complete). Were the original 42ft wagon chassis later adapted by CIE for other purposes such as fertiliser wagons, and timber wagons, etc?

post-6821-0-91933100-1518044448.jpg

10 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Yes these would be a good basis for a fert wagon , for the early 1970's round buffers and ride control bogies would have been more common and if C Rail did a B&I container it would be the business.

Agree B&I is indeed the missing link.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Yes these would be a good basis for a fert wagon , for the early 1970's round buffers and ride control bogies would have been more common and if C Rail did a B&I container it would be the business.

If Arran at C-Rail can be provided with livery diagrams/photos and colour codes he would be happy to produce them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WRENNEIRE said:
On 30/8/2017 at 12:42 PM, Warbonnet said:

Snippet start . . .

Leading the way (by a nose!) is a bogie container flat. Most were for the humble 42ft flat to recreate those classic Bell and Guinness liners as well as modern day spoil wagons, but there's also love for the 47ft flat as below too.

. . . Snippet end

25886029692_7898bb7c17_b.jpg

Just a wild guess troops but I reckon IRM might be doing these yokes in the not too distant future

Hold on to your hard earned and relax.

That's precisely what I was wondering when I first saw Neil's stunningly precise FUD models.  On the brink of pressing 'submit' for a rake over on Shapeways . . . and then remembered Fran's comment above from the thread below.  Waiting for the announcement on the 3rd may be prudent to see if 42 footers are to be project no 4 and what the ship date might be.  But project 4 might surprise us all and be a different class of model altogether! :) 

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/6208-irish-railway-models-survey-you-have-spoken/

1 minute ago, Railer said:

Thought the orange bubbles were project 4. Taras were 3.

Thought all the bubbles were really the same project no 2, hence the difference liveries of the identical models were labelled packs A-F.  If my memory is not failing me I thought when first announced the Taras are named as project 3, but I'm sure the lads can clarify.

10 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Or might not be project 4, but 4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 :)

Intrigued :) Looking forward to the meet up on the 3rd. It will be a class event.