Rate this topic

murrayec

7 hours ago, Peter said:

Any update on this Eoin? I'm making good progress with my n gauge layout and an Irish loco would be amazing. 

Hi Peter

I'm still bogged down with the printer guy for getting the colour right- it's on going, but slowly.

The motor bogie is been worked on, I reckon I have it mastered! if you look at the Walker thread in Irish Models- its the same bogie system but slightly bigger for the Walker. This should have it's first test run at the weekend.

Eoin

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Peter said:

Any update on this model Eoin? 

Peter 

Hi Peter

It's now the 'Scratched Record' thing'! The printer guy sorted the colour and printed the body sheets about 1 month ago, I was also getting HO scale body prints done at the same time on heavy paper and unfortunately he printed the Gauge N stuff on this heavy paper- impossible to fold at the N scale, and where I have outside cuts for folding the seam- its  huge, white and to deep!

I met with the printer last week and he is going to do the N again when he has the light paper in stock!!

On the other side- I'm up to my eyes on other projects for people and finding it very hard to dedicate time to this project, it will be completed but when I'm not sure.

Eoin

• Like 1

Unbelievably the printer guy just rang! and has asked me to send my loco body cutting files and to prepare a drawing for the fold lines! They are trying out a new machine that can cut and score for folding the Xerox sheet- all fingers are now crossed!

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Good news. Would there be any chance of seeing a sample at Blackrock next month.

@MikeO

We'll have to see how the printing goes!

I get two or three A3 test prints done at a time, the printers are doing print runs in the thousands so my stuff only gets done when they have time.

It's a bit like myself- I have so much on it's hard to get at this project.

Eoin

• 3 weeks later...

@Peter

I did get prints back on Friday but it's not looking good for the show- still having problems with colour. The top print is what came on Friday but the orange/tan is way to light and some of the detail is missing, the print under I received back in July- the orange/tan is great but detail was missing, adjustments have been made and its back with the printers....

974722222_ECM141PrintedColours-0120191010_113801.jpg.297bcba2b6bd53fc24dc1075b15de908.jpg

Eoin

• Like 1

Eoin

That is disappointing but I suppose that is the vagaries of printing even on a professional level. Some time ago I got electragraphix sides for MK2 coaches where the "orange" had the same hue as the OO gauge coach in your photo but a got the same sides earlier this year and the "orange" was not too far off the shade on your Friday prints.

MikeO

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Eoin,

I'm new to the forum, but I've recently been getting into N-scale building with Metcalfe kits and ScaleScenes self print models, and I've been really impressed with the level of realism that can be achieved.

I've been wondering if card rolling stock could be a viable option. For one thing, respraying UK stock models tends to produce less than satisfactory results, and destroys the resale value of the "donor" models. However, card models could allow the chassis and bogies of off-the-shelf models with card uppers would allow the donor model parts to be stored for later reassembly if resale required.

The 141 is a very challenging shape to start with, and I think you've done a fantastic job. I actually like the uncoloured version, and I'd encourage offering that as an option. I think pairing it with the Kato chassis is a great idea, as they seem to be available cheaply on Amazon.

Offering them pre-cut and scored would be fantastic, but if that is proving problematic, would offering a self-print kit be a less stressful way of making it available?

Other things that this approach might work well for would be DARTs (I think you've already done most of the work for this at OO scale) and Irish coaching stock.

James

• Like 1

@LostCarPark

Yes card rolling stock is on the 'cards', I have artwork for- cravens, laminates, 6 wheelers and a few others set up- but the usual time restrictions are involved!

I do do a Gauge N DART;-

1064586679_N-Dart-12IMAG3860.jpg.3ba013f6ded6a29a7dcf6d39f8da8fe6.jpg

104755219_N-Dart-11IMAG3863.jpg.4a5a38cc663d2524093321f87caeb82c.jpg

I have built 3 of these so far.

I had a meeting with my printer guy this week and Xerox have come up with a solution to the orange printing problem! so I expect some new test prints in the coming week.......

Eoin

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LostCarPark said:

Regarding motor chassis options, have you investigated the Tomytec TR-01 or TR-03? They are 70mm long, so perhaps slightly short for the 141, but not unfeasibly so. Seem to be fairly inexpensive on eBay.

Here's a data sheet: http://trains4africa.co.za/?p=4226

I've no experience of it (yet!).

@LostCarPark

There are very few off the shelf chassis suitable for the 141 because of running boards from cab to cab! most chassis have the motor way to wide to allow for this. The chassis I'm developing for this project- see beginning of this thread above, allows for the 141 design....

Eoin

22 hours ago, murrayec said:

There are very few off the shelf chassis suitable for the 141 because of running boards from cab to cab! most chassis have the motor way to wide to allow for this. The chassis I'm developing for this project- see beginning of this thread above, allows for the 141 design....

Eoin

I see the problem. How much width do you have in the mid section?

The body design would presumably be fairly easy to extend to a 071, but that's going to be even harder to find a chasis for!

James

4 hours ago, LostCarPark said:

I see the problem. How much width do you have in the mid section?

The body design would presumably be fairly easy to extend to a 071, but that's going to be even harder to find a chasis for!

James

@LostCarPark

The mid section is 12mm

I'm using the same chassis for the 071, just the chassis plate will be longer.

Eoin

• 1 year later...