IRM Future announcements - How would you like them?

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

IRM Future announcements - How would you like them?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see Irish Railway Models announcements made?

• Announce when IRM has a PP sample and production is ready to commence, with delivery in 6-8 weeks
    • Announce annual programme in advance

Hi everyone,

We have been looking at how we announce future projects and models for Irish Railway Models after receiving a number of requests for information, both by email and by phone. Customers have inquired what exactly is coming this year so they can prepare modelling budgets and plans for the next 12 months. We were looking to adopt a strategy of only announcing a model when we have a production sample we are happy with to cut down on waiting times for new model. 

So, what is the best strategy to take? Do you want to know what we are going to release this year so you can plan ahead, or do you want to wait for the surprise?

Voting closes on February 1st!  

I'm all for knowing what is going on. We are all aware that things don't always go to plan, or even, sometimes, come to fruition at all in the end - but, having an idea of what may well be coming up is surely helpful to most people.

Maybe a little chart-thing, as Hattons do in their adverts, showing stage progress?

If people don't want to know, they can always "look away now", as we used to have to do before so much sport was on live...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While surprises are nice and not having to wait so long is great too at times, there in is also the nature of the hobby that these nice surprises tend to be expensive, especially if there are rakes involved like the cements and up coming Taras.

As mentioned above, I like the Hattons approach to see where things are to plan funds in advance seeing as how quick some models or packs of them sell out if left on the long finger.

I'd like to know what's planned for the year in general but a surprise thrown in now again would be sweet too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Fran

Yes, I agree with the above comments, tell the customers what's happening. I reckon this leads to a better manufacture & customer relationship, leaves less space for Wooohoo Scary People to work in, and of course its interesting to see things develop....

Eoin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Just to be difficult perhaps every 6 months so that you have a fairly good idea how advanced projects are and still people have time to save so cash for the spending spree!!

Indeed, maybe just an update whenever a stage is completed?

i wouldn't expect a full running commentary, though a webcam in the office would allow us to see that progress was being made..

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! It's at polar opposite to the British market currently, with their consensus being 'dont tell us till its here', but with so many broken promises in that market it's not hard to understand why they prefer that tactic.

24 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Just to be difficult perhaps every 6 months so that you have a fairly good idea how advanced projects are and still people have time to save so cash for the spending spree!!

Ah Gareth, you love being awkward! :D In all seriousness though, the plan would be to announce what we are doing in early Feb, and of course keep you updated on each project as it moves to the next stage, basically like we did with the ballasts and bubbles. I think that would work best? Keep letting us know folks, We have set a deadline of Feb 1st for everyone to have their say. :)

• Like 1

It is easy for everybody to become 'tarred with the same brush' - maybe run the two markets separately, in a manner appropriate to each, until people on the big island get the hang of how you're doing it? You have the means to do that in place. Most of 'them' will take little interest in what you're doing for 'us', especially if it is an effectively separate operation.

Sometimes, I suspect, the issue for the "big players" can have been, perhaps, to preempt announcements by the "other side" and, thus, queer their pitch, so to speak - who knows?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Broithe said:

It is easy for everybody to become 'tarred with the same brush' - maybe run the two markets separately, in a manner appropriate to each, until people on the big island get the hang of how you're doing it? You have the means to do that in place. Most of 'them' will take little interest in what you're doing for 'us', especially if it is an effectively separate operation.

Sometimes, I suspect, the issue for the "big players" can have been, perhaps, to preempt announcements by the "other side" and, thus, queer their pitch, so to speak - who knows?

Exactly our thinking Jim. We're learning that the two markets are completely different, but we're learning fast thankfully!

• Like 1

Just now, Warbonnet said:

Exactly our thinking Jim. We're fast learning that the two markets are completely different, but we're learning fast thankfully!

There is much less of a "personal accountability" issue here on the Big Island - organisations are seen much more as just impersonal structures, not as simply frontages for the actual people inside. There is scope for people to start to understand the reality of IRM/Accurascale in the future, but they may need time - and evidence/education.

It's a cultural issue, to a large extent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! It's at polar opposite to the British market currently, with their consensus being 'dont tell us till its here', but with so many broken promises in that market it's not hard to understand why they prefer that tactic.

History of failure to deliver over there and a different market... The Irish market being sooooooo limited in terms of quality supply I think it is key to know what is coming in the foreseeable future. A handy example is the 42ft wagon being discussed on the other thread. IRM hinting they'll produce it there (maybe reading too much into that). I'd certainly be very interested in the shapeways version but if I know a RTR will appear this / next year I can plan for that instead. Unfortunate for Nile but I'd hate to buy those then hear a RTR is 8 weeks away.

Edited by chris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I started going to exhibitions/fairs simply in order to buy stuff for a housebound chap that I had built a layout for. I had little interest in British railways and believed that Irish railways were far beyond my possibilities, largely because of the loco issues - then I saw and bought a Murphy baby GM - and everything changed at that point. Modelling Irish railways has got steadily easier and better - sometimes we have to stop and think just how good it is for us now.

• Like 5

The more I think about this, the weirder it is.

If you know anybody on the Big Island and into UK railway modelling, try asking them what they would think if a senior executive from Hornby personally asked them if they would like to be told the truth of what is likely to really happen?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Broithe said:

If you know anybody on the Big Island and into UK railway modelling, try asking them what they would think if a senior executive from Hornby personally asked them if they would like to be told the truth of what is likely to really happen?

I think the five year waiting times and ‘land grabbing’ has made the customer base cynical. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

I think the five year waiting times and ‘land grabbing’ has made the customer base cynical. 

My initial reaction to the question was almost to wonder why you were bothering to ask us and to question the distinction between the two, apparently very similar, markets.

The more I've thought about it, however, the more the vast difference has become obvious. I know a few people in front-line retail on the Big Island and they have less idea of what is going to actually happen in mainstream GB modelling than I do about the Irish scene, and I don't even have to make any effort to find out!

MIR, Paddy Murphy,  @leslie10646's Provincial Wagons, @Weshty's SSM operation, the Chinese factories, etc - they've all played a part in getting us here.

:cheers:

• Thanks 2

That's the thing. The markets are so different, and possibly even the modelling culture, that few comparisons are valid.

This is most certainly the case in preservation. Assumptions are often made that the ITG,  DCDR or RPSI could do this, or even "ought"* to do that, because, well,the Strathspeys, Severn Valley, Ffestiniog and Swanage Railways do. 98% of the time, such comparisons are at best naive, at worst abject nonsense - because you're not even beginning to compare like with like.

On this island we have 6.5 million people. Our neighbouring island has twelve or thirteen times that. Different market, and very different history of interest in allspects of railway, real and model. 

So - welcome to ECM's N gauge endeavours; new to us, though old hat to BR fans, not that this fact is in itself of the remotest relevance. And good luck to IRM, sorry, Accurascale! You folks are flying the innovative flag - keep it up!

(   * "ought"....... I hear the chorus of active preservationists, "well if you think we OUGHT to, then you get your wallet out and your sleeves rolled up and do it yourself! We're running a train at the weekend, and the brakes have to be checked, the dining car stocked, and the jax cleaned!"... and who would blame them!  )

• Like 3

For my 2 cents, I would prefer to know in advance, as in what notice we had with the bubbles and wagons. I know there were delays in the bubbles because everyone at IRM was not happy at first with quality of the first samples, and I think that everyone seemed patient about it as I was keeping an eye on it, but when we saw the quality of the bubbles, it was worth the wait. I would not mind a delay for something that is announced from the original eta advised, if the quality is to equal that of the bubbles and also to be fair the ballast wagons were also fab. I am sure that if something that is announced, intended to be released and for whatever reason does not make it to market, all I would say is thanks for giving it a lash lads!!!! 

To be fair to everyone at IRM, you all deserve a big thank you for the products that you have brought to the market to date, I am for sure very happy with them, all I need now is to get a start on my layout, maybe this year?

Edited by mmie353
oops, meant to be more specific
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Broithe said:

You can't beat the Irish .....the best decisions are  not made in the office but in the local hostility over a few pints o' the black stuff......and the happier the crew the better the decisions! I can only assume that is what happens at IRM Towers!😉

• Like 2

I complement IRM for asking your customers about this. Very happy to go with the flow. Just a suggestion, after announcing the annual programme, perhaps it would be nice to minimise subsequent announcements and have them close to delivery dates of each product rather than a series of 'announcements about announcements' which can be mildly irritating from a customers perspective. Your existing customer base is obviously massively larger than the 35 poll respondents and forum, perhaps email links to polls in future may give you a wider customer hit rate than just the forum.

Keep up the great work and wish you well with Accurascale in the UK. :tumbsup: Looking forward to hearing about your 2018 plans in the fullness of time. 

PS: I've changed my mind since I submitted a response to your customer survey last year, I'd now be happy to have an IRM A class without working windscreen wipers. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi 

The rolling advance programme with updates works well - it did for Stalin?!  Yes - agree the big Island is very fickle and very changeable with  posturing and the like. However as MM has found out the Chinese factory act is a strange one  on an entirely different level.  Dapol have now introduced albeit in O gauge wagons using new British created tooling. I guess getting tooling out in good order from china will be very expensive if the stories of sitcky hands is true!  Dapol might have capacity and a product awareness worth investigating ? - just a thought.

Thanks for asking the customer base and as noted better than the perceived big   players - you would be surprised at the low headcounts at the other big name players!  But good for  you.

I will as anside buy some of the 3D 42foot flats and soon be getting a second A class just to ensure you do produce then RTR as I am almost finishing my efforts

Robert   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1