Matching Tan/Orange colours

Rate this topic

Noel

Over on the FB group the topic of the various shades of Tan and Orange used by CIE and IR/IE over the years popped up, and the shades used on some models. In the pic below the colour of MM Mk2 coach seems to have too much yellow and doesn't match the shade used on either loco variant. Personally while the coaches are lovely models the colour especially the roof seems to scream out on the layout as it appears too day-glo bright and I'm wondering how I might tone them down a little them to suit my personal taste.  

4 options to adjust the shade or tan/orange for the coaches:

1. Full respray but that will be a big job requiring a complete set of decals for each coach
  2. Weather the coaches (i.e. much as I did with the Orange cement wagons)
  3. Sell them and instead respray eBay sourced Hornby/Bachmann/Lima Mk2e/f coaches also requires full set of decals but will obviously need to keep and respray the MM EGV and restaurant car.
  4. Leave as they are

I'm leaning towards option no 2 as it seems the least work and quickest solution. Any suggestions welcome.

Coach below does not match either loco, mind you 177 is mildly factory weathered.

IMG_4326.jpg

The bright orange coach roof might blend better with some weathering. 177 roof seems unaffected by the body sides factory weathering

IMG_4327.jpg

Edited by Noel

The real thing had different colours, the colour mixed in Inchicore wasn't exactly matched. Also a lot of rolling stock faded over time.

The coaches used on the Galway line faded just on one side from the sun!

I like the different shades, looks more natural. 

17 minutes ago, Dave said:

The real thing had different colours, the colour mixed in Inchicore wasn't exactly matched. Also a lot of rolling stock faded over time.

The coaches used on the Galway line faded just on one side from the sun!

I like the different shades, looks more natural. 

Agree different shades can look well, but the roofs on those Mk2d's are a bit like H&S hi-vis jackets.  They are so bright marshals could use a pair of them to direct aircraft. :) 

GroundMarshal.thumb.jpg.b845d88bb23a16700ed4f4eb4c69f0c2.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Funny 1

The top two are more accurate; the bottom one is too deep a shade, by the look of it.

The same tanny orange was used right through from 1962 until about 1990, when painting techniques changed, leading the slightly brighter shade seen latterly.

Paint fades depending on the ingredients. If a mix had, say, brown and orange pigments in it, and the orange faded quicker, it was fade to having a more browny tint. CIE's tan paint tended to show a slightly more flat tan colour when badly worn - however - in traffic locos and coaching stock were generally looked after well,  so you never got that variation on vehicles in traffic; they'd be repainted long before.

Variations in new batches of paint were rare and so infitesimally small that you couldn't really discern them.

In contrast, in the 1950s, many green carriages ended up extremely worn looking, and quite faded in some cases - but the greens were absolutely standard when new.

Look at yer man in the photo above. He's waving Bachmann Mk 3s at the pilot in order to spoil his day, as he knows he's a steam man.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Funny 3