Sligo Leitrim & Northern Counties

Rate this topic

David Holman

Hello out there - have just joined the group & interested in the SLNCR. Am building a small layout in 7mm scale & 36.75mm track. Happily the latter done for me by Marcway, but scratch/kitbuilding the rest, with help from Alphagrapix, whose card kits seem like good colour plans for working in plasticard/metal. A Northstar 'Lissadell' and Tyrconnel J26 are nearing completion, but would welcome info on Sir Henry [especially a drawing], the articulated railcar & likewise any appropriate wagon drawings of stuff that might have appeared on the system.

Am new to this type of forum, think I've also posted a blog, so will await an replies with baited breath...

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

Guest hidden-agenda

Hello David and welcome to the site. That lay-out looks 1st class and i will have a look through my collection of drawings and see if i have anything that will interest you.

More pics please.

Thanks for prompt replies. Here are a few more pics, though have found most files are too big, so will rest the camera & do a few more over the next few days.

Track is Code 100 flatbottom, copperclad points by Marcway, plain track soldered up by me

The coaches and wagons are all scratchbuilt in plasticard & based on the Alphagraphix kits. Use Slaters wheels, opened up to 5' 3", in either left over W irons from Parkside & Slaters kits [current layout is BR Eastern region, 1950s], or castings from the JPL range. Doubt if the latter are correct, but from photos I have so far, seems to me there isn't the archive material available that we have on English railways [eg any number of wagon & coach books], while Sligo wagons seem to often sport different buffers on each beam/end, so have given up worrying, at least for now.

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

superb detail on the wagons- well done sir! is the loco scratch built or a conversion? she is a beauty:tumbsup:

Thank you. The loco is a Tyrconnel kit, as advertised in the Alphagraphix catalogue. The latter includes several other nice prototypes including a Bandon 4-6-0T and the Timoleague 2-6-0T. Reasonably priced - the J26 was £90 sans wheels, motor & gears. Fairly easy to build too, though I've got around 50 locos on my CV, so experience helps I guess. Needs final weathering and a bit of weight in the boiler, but will pull the six wagons that will be the max formation on my layout & is a nice runner. Chassis was an interesting one piece etch, which folded up very accurately - with the rods on it rolled first time without any fettling. Always a nice surprise in my experience!

May I also extend a welcome to the site. It's nice to see scales other then the usual OO. While the larger scale would be easer to work with, it shows up a greater amount of detail or lack of it. David you need to have no worries on that score, excellent work.

JHB took the words right out of my mouth speachless!

David

The Manchesterr Museum of Science & Technology might be able to help with a drawing of Sir Henry they hold the Beyer Peacock drawing collection.

Any chance of a clooser look at the Leitrim tank?

7mm seems to be the way to capture the look of the traditional outside framed stock.

Edited by Mayner

Many thanks to everyone for all the positive comments on my layout pics. Have attached a few more and will also put them on my new blog.

The Lissadell tank is a truly lovely kit. Managed to track down Adrian Rowlands [Northstar Models] who kindly enabled me to buy the last two examples, as Northstar are no longer producing these kits. The draughtmanship of the etching is remarkable - no idea how many rivets there are, but certainly runs to many hundreds. My GW Models rivet press put to very good use...

Made a couple of alterations in that built the buffer beams of wood, as per prototype, and used copper water pipe for the boiler - forgetting would then have to glue all fittings. The pipe adds weight, but is also an enormous heat sink which prevents further soldering. Will roll the boiler when I get round to the second kit. A few fittings still needed and will add inside valve gear. Very tempted to use Lawrie Griffen's kit to make it work, especially as the broad gauge makes it easier to fit, hopefully...

Some wagons still need further weathering and also have 5 cattle vans on the stocks, plus 5 GN & GSR type opens for what will be the coal train. The latter scratch built from photos - to same 15' wheelbase of Sligo stock. Cattle wagons without roofs at present while I try and source some animals to go inside. Model farm animals tend to be 1:32, though Woodlands scenics now produce some 1:43.

Am going to try and cast some of my own from models I got years ago. Detail not too important once the roof is on hopefully.

The carraige truck is from a pic in Nigel Sprinks definitive book/album

The other photos show the [mark 1] turntable - a much butchered Dapol kit, with meccano hand cranked gears from Frizinghall models - plus a close up of the Marcway track & wire in tube operating links.

Currenly working on the station building - a version of Florencecourt, from the Alphagraphix kit - which is made from foamboard and Das clay overlays. Will add to the blog as things progress.

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

The SLNCR was a highly distinctive and unusual railway in terms of just about everything even by Irish standards ideal for this style of modelling.

David you talk about a coal train, have the SLNCR managed to built south to tap the Lough Allen coal and Iron deposits?

7mm or larger seems to be the way to go for this type of modelling, it makes me feel like throwing the 4mm stuff away and having a go at the Timoleague and Courtmacharry in 7mm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2069[/ATTACH]

she is one elegant lady......no other word for her but beautiful!=D

David, welcome to the site and fair play, your work is top class. I thought I recognised that NorthStar Lissadell all right, she really is a beautiful model.

All the best

Weshty.

• 6 months later...