GNRi 0-6-0 Look-a-like

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Not really, GNR!

As you'll have seen from other posts, there's nothing at all, nothing, that looks even close to what the GNR operated on the Derry Road. If you do a "botch job" on this loco, you'd get something that would look vaguely OK - a new cab woulf be the first necessity.

The good news is that apart from UGs, D class 0.6.0s, and S, P and PP class 4.4.0's, little else ran on the line until the advent of the railcars.

You can get a IFM British Craven 2-car set which approximates to a GNR AEC set - by their own admission, it's a representation rather than a model. All you'd have to do is replace the blue on the lower panels - it is the shade of steam locos, or the RPSI Craven livery (which is NOT, nor ever was intended to be, GNR). I know, though, you're more into goods. Leslie's GNR goods vans look very well (Provinicial Wagons), and an occasional CIE "H" van would have appeared there. Omagh depot would have almost entirely covered vans, open wagons, and flats with bread containers. There's plenty available there.

Loco hauled coaches - no, nothing at all right, except brass kits, e.g. SSM's K15, but you'd need a passenger brake to go with it.

Back, then, to steam locos. Eventually, maybe someone will sell a U or UG here, or they'll do another batch. The one you have, plus another like it, provided the lack of exact accuracy doesn't bother you, would do in the meantime. Goods yards would have seen little else on the GNR!

2 hours ago, Richard EH said:

Nelson did a great job of converting a Bachmann C class into a GNRi PGs I think?

Thank you for the mention, I did indeed create a PG class (number 10) but it was from the GBL series with a Bachmann jinty chassis and new tender one. I do have however a BR black Bachmann one that needs to be done, so it'll be on the workbench soon enough. I've attached these photos as I find them better than the other ones, they give you idea of what's involved, not too much really. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought this mint/un-used Bachmann 0-6-0 from eBay at a bargain price £68. Its my second 0-6-0 to buy and this will also keep my goods yard occupied in the absence of a UG class loco at Omagh. Would consider some conversion possibilities at a later stage but for now, I like it, its fine.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 3

• 3 years later...