GNRi S Class 172 in Derry 1992

Rate this topic

I was going through my slides last night and came across a visit to Derry by Slieve Gullion on 12th April 1992 which was described as a 'running in after an overhaul'. I have included a few shots, a very grey day I might add. I managed to get a shot of the NIR local train arriving the same morning.

img011.jpg

img013.jpg

img014.jpg

Among the same batch of slides was this Brake Van. Obviously taken in Belfast and all I remember about that period was visiting Adelaide yard to take some pictures as being asked to leave as I had two young sons with me and they were concerned about their safety. Can anyone confirm if it is Adelaide, you can see H&W crane in background.

img015.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Would it not be Central Service Depot (former Queen's Quay)?

The brake van is an ex-NCC one, now at Downpatrick and available by appointment for anyone to go and measure up or photograph.

The UTA painted it dark wagon grey, with white lettering. About 1970, NIR slopped little better than a watery light grey whitewash over it, and put their black markings on; both can be seen.

For the modeller, if you do pay it a visit at Downpatrick, do be aware that livery wise, it is not right at all. If anyone wants chapter and verse on exact UTA / NIR livery details, PM me. It's probably too boring for here!

Superb photos, by the way!

47 minutes ago, popeye said:

Nice pictures, have you any more.

Love the brakevan. :tumbsup:

Just a couple, thanks.........

img010.jpg

img012.jpg

9 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Would it not be Central Service Depot (former Queen's Quay)?

The brake van is an ex-NCC one, now at Downpatrick and available by appointment for anyone to go and measure up or photograph.

The UTA painted it dark wagon grey, with white lettering. About 1970, NIR slopped little better than a watery light grey whitewash over it, and put their black markings on; both can be seen.

For the modeller, if you do pay it a visit at Downpatrick, do be aware that livery wise, it is not right at all. If anyone wants chapter and verse on exact UTA / NIR livery details, PM me. It's probably too boring for here!

Superb photos, by the way!

I am sorry, I really don't remember. If not Adelaide, it may have been one of many days Norman Johnston took me to various locations with him for the run. I had the camera, he had the 'trainspotters notebook'.

• Like 1

Popeye, you're welcome!

I just hadn't the time, I did the other with Photoshop but just posted the last two straight from the scan of the slide. When I started taking photographs seriously in the mid 1980s, I used two Rolleiflex cameras for all my B&W work and a Nikon FM2 for colour slides.  

• Thanks 1