Barrier wagons

Rate this question

heirflick

Question

9 answers to this question

My recollection is black, but they were dirty.

The chassis of the ammonia tanks themselves was in a very dark green like UTA green - maybe slightly darker, so it's possible they were painted in that.

Old black paintwork can fade to just about anything, depending on the undercoat below it (and Inchicore used a lot of undercoat in various greenish shades); and the compounds within the particular brand of paint. I have seen badly faded maroon paint which looks brown, other examples pink, or a salmony colour. I have seen badly faded green paint looking bluish, or brown, or even a nondescript yellowy colour. Thus, photos of green-looking barrier wagons could be just black faded to that.

I will delve a little more and try to find a definitive answer.

The bogie wagons the containers were carried on were standard CIE brown, heavily weathered in brake dust.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I found one old photo which appears to have standard brown wagons (as presumed; bogies naturally also brown). The container is an extremely dark green - almost black. I am pretty certain that some others were black, but at least this one was definitely a very dark green - probably the shade applied to the lower parts and bogies of the Anhydrous Ammonia tankers. The word "WATER" was stencilled on its side, midway, in letters which I suspect were about a foot high. No other markings or logos are on the actual tank container.

• Like 1

The containers themselves were a NATO green, as opposed to the more lively green on the ammonia tankers themselves. Gorgeous George of this parish posted up some photos some time ago, and I'll be damned if I can find the post...But the wagons were standard rust/bauxite/rust. Oh I note they were Fred Dean's on Flickr....oops..

(The vertical yokey on the end is to stop scrotes opening containers and lifting the contents, so it's likely the wagons weren't specifically for barrier wagons)

1617531_467541136706518_26919225_o.jpg

barrier.JPG

• Like 2

Ammonia train, Dublin (1982)

https://www.geograph.ie/photo/3498199

The photos in the earlier posting show a caged barrier wagon for the ammonia train while the 1982 photo attached shows one uncaged.  I've seen one other photo, dated 1982, with an uncaged barrier, and all of the remaining photos that I've seen are dated in the late 80s and 90s and show the caged barrier.  So, is there a time period when they were uncaged/caged or were they mixed?