GNR MAK loco

Rate this question

jhb171achill

Question

12 answers to this question

Many thanks, Ernie.

I thought it might make a suitably quirky addition to current-layout-in-incubation. While the thing never seems to have strayed much from the DSER suburbans and the Youghal line, it is conceivable that it might have been banished to some remote south-western terminus, as it was briefly based in Cork anyway.....  unless detail differences are savage, I thought if I could pick one up cheap and slap a bit of green on it, it would do!

If its the wrong scale, that's different......!

http://www.contikits.com/Page_3.html

Geof Poulter at Contikits has a couple of s/h Hobbytrain V65's listed. Geof and Alison are old friends of mine, we have done shows and travelled extensively on the Swiss railways over the last 30 plus years and I regularly  buy stuff from him (and then sell it back when I decide to do something else - usually a couple of months later!)

ERnie

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Is that 70 dollars? Here in the UK we have to pay import duty and a duty collection fee if you are buying outside the EEC and I imagine its probably the same in Eire. I got stung a few times when I purchased some 0 scale freight cars from the US a couple of years ago. Books and magazines are exempt as they are deemed to be educational.There is a Roco one on German Ebay but its not Buy it now.

Ernie

On 22/02/2018 at 3:39 PM, jhb171achill said:

I put in a bid for a little above the $70. If it climbs higher I'm not that interested. I thought if I can get one cheap, fair enough, but it's by no means a priority. We'll see!

I got it. US$117 including shipping. We'll see what it looks like.

Now I need to get realistic green paint!  And CIE transfers which are eau de nil rather than white, yellow, gold, or turquoise!

On 2/22/2018 at 12:57 PM, jhb171achill said:

Many thanks, Ernie.

I thought it might make a suitably quirky addition to current-layout-in-incubation. While the thing never seems to have strayed much from the DSER suburbans and the Youghal line, it is conceivable that it might have been banished to some remote south-western terminus, as it was briefly based in Cork anyway.....  unless detail differences are savage, I thought if I could pick one up cheap and slap a bit of green on it, it would do!

If its the wrong scale, that's different......!

John, It's YOUR railway, so run it where you want to!

As for the scale, I doubt that you'd notice too much.

But come on, Beaumont, GREEN? It should be BLUE as it was when it ran on a decent Christian Railway (oh, I'll get chucked off the Forum for being non-PC!).

Thank, gents, for the heads-up - one of those would look nice with the other GN locos, so I must have a look for one myself.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:57 PM, jhb171achill said:

Hahahahaha!!! 

Scale wise, I'm happy enough. Since my thing is based in rural Wisht Kaaaark or Kerry-boy, any appearance of that yoke will only be following its visit to Inchicore to be drenched in green!

The big question is, do you allow me to have it haul a Provincial Wagons GNR goods van with, ehhmm, a "flying snail" on the side?

Sacrilege, I know; but at least I'm not putting anything GNR in BR blue or NIR "red bull" livery!

GNR men must have cried into their soup, or fallen down with doses of the Multiple Conniptions, Screaming Fits, and Advanced Heebie-geebies when they saw the solitary GNR diesel painted in CIE green......

I never asked jhb171senior.  While he couldn't be bothered with mere diesels, I didn't want to risk adverse effects on his blood pressure and strength of stomach.....!

The big question is, do you allow me to have it haul a Provincial Wagons GNR goods van with, ehhmm, a "flying snail" on the side?

John, Old Boy, as I said in the previous comment - "It's your railway", so you do what you want to with Provincial Wagons.

That said, we both know that the GN vans probably didn't last that long under CIE. However, John Langford photographed a former GN open on the CBSCR - so I did that particular wagon in my "Dapol" days.

As I scan the late Lance King's slides, I find all sorts of things in strange places, following the dissolution of our favourite Railway.

Back to acting God and turning Richhill station right round - the way I laid it first time, there wouldn't have been room for the family cottage on a hill nearby!

This weather is great for modelling, whether working on your railway, or announcing new wagons  - good luck with that boys - it's an impressive spec!

• Like 1