Derry NIR Plans

Rate this topic

The obvious question to ask is why there appear to be different interpretations of the same regulations. I have also heard it said that another reason for not coming under cover has to do with the exhaust fumes from the diesel engines, eg Tralee and Kilkenny but not, apparently, Killarney!

Stephen

Some thoughts on the subject - https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2011/oct/18/railway-station-or-train-station

On the Big Island, there are often sharply bordered areas where one of the two forms is preferred, in speech, that is - it is still RS in most 'official' terminology. RS is still by far the general term, but TS is definitely gaining traction.

My general usage would just be 'station', if I was talking about some other sort of station, then I would add 'bus' etc., as a prefix. That may be partly due to hardly ever having any other sort of station available locally, wherever I've lived. In this area, you will hear TS used mostly in the older Victorian urban areas, possibly because they did once have a variety of local station types?

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Uncivilised folk that they are! I blame Brexit for this illiteracy........!

Dangerously political!

Most people favour just 'station', as I do, this may be down to never living anywhere big enough to have any other sort of station - it does seem to be the urban types who use 'train station', as they usually have a bus station, and even a coach station, to contend with. Where I live now is around 70,000 and is held in widespread contempt for not having a bus station.

Edited by Broithe
Doh...

I must admit to having a little fun as working full time as a controller for a UK TOC  that if  a railway station staff member says calling from "xx train station "  I say "where - never heard of it and say you mean xx railway station! "  They do learn quite quickly and if anybody from the office comes to the control and trots out "train station" the howls of abuse  are loud and clear ! 

I do fully acknowledge that the language is dynamic and changes no doubt we say things that are cringeworthy to our forebares...  You only need to read of new words put into dictionaries every year to see it change .

Robert   

9 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

I must admit to having a little fun as working full time as a controller for a UK TOC  that if  a railway station staff member says calling from "xx train station "  I say "where - never heard of it and say you mean xx railway station! "  They do learn quite quickly and if anybody from the office comes to the control and trots out "train station" the howls of abuse  are loud and clear ! 

I do fully acknowledge that the language is dynamic and changes no doubt we say things that are cringeworthy to our forebares...  You only need to read of new words put into dictionaries every year to see it change .

Robert   

And long may you make your pronouncements, Robert!  :-bd

NIR actually use "train station" on their signage in several locations!