Gaugemaster Point Motors

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

4 answers to this question

Personally, I use Peco motors and being lazy, the above board variety.

I have used the "hidden" variety in the past and found them quite a pain, as you either had to cut a hole in the baseboard to attach it directly to the point, or use the fixing plate Peco make. I note that this motor fixes directly to the underside of the board, so that you only have to drill a slot for the actuation rod - certainly better than the Peco offering.

You ask about noise - they'll make a distinct crack as the solenoid acts - it has its advantages - you know that it has worked!

More important is how much current it needs to actuate - Peco is notorious for needing quite a bit of electrical muscle.

I know this to my cost as I've just spent the Big Freeze (and before) setting up ten points to work remotely via a Digitrax DS64 control unit - claimed to be plug and play - not nearly as simple as that - you don't get sufficient power off the Track Bus to work Peco points, so each DS64 needs its own power supply (not too expensive as Coastal DCC provided me with a neat unit for a tenner (Sterling!)). You're still not there, as you then need to connect up the Loconet  from your main controller - that, honestly, proved very simple.

At the end of it, I have those ten points working off my hand-held wireless controller and it's a great boon and worth the rather steep learning curve!

Anyway "GNR", when you try these motors, share your experience as I've still got more than a dozen points to motorise and I'm almost out of my supply of Peco stuff!

Good luck!

Edited by leslie10646

Leslie, interesting to hear your comments and experiences.

In the past I've always used Peco fitted under the baseboard with the adapter and extension pin. That was back in the mid-1980s. I've often wondered if Peco would have improved upon them since that. I've seen the Gaugemaster point motors advertised for a Pack of 5 @£10 which is well worth the gamble, and they do not require soldering the connections. 

I like the idea of surface mounting - I can hide at least five points in conveniently placed linseed huts, water towers and signal boxes!

Last year I was able to work points with a wire and tube but I'm a bit older and wiser now now bending and working under-hand is best avoided - my glasses keep falling off.

I've just rebuilt my baseboards, bought all my Code 75 track and paintwork, ordered my 3mm cork and waiting now for s nice South Eastern Finecast well turntable.
All being well, i'll be laying some track next weekend.

Thanks

Tony