Fleischmann to stopping HO scale from 2019.

Rate this topic

This has been on the cards for a while and makes sense. By concentrating on N, Fleischmann avoid overlap with Roco, which is also owned by Modelleisenbahn Holding GmbH. I assume all relevant HO tooling will be transferred to Roco, with any N gauge tooling held by Roco going the other way.

Unsurprisingly, all remaining production in Austria is also being shifted to Slovakia.

• 1 month later...

Just on the Fleischmann gig one of the lads was running a 3 rail 2-8-0 by Fleischmann this evening

Stunning model with extraordinary detail. I never knew they did 3 rail, thought Marklin had that market wrapped up?

It's a sad day when you don't learn something new  9_9

• 2 months later...

While not surprised at this news I was sad to read about Fleischmann's decision to quit production of HO models. Was thinking of this while going through my Fleischmann collection and it reminded me of why I chose to operate these models. They are smooth running and the quality and finish is second to none. I am really impressed with their close coupling mechanism which was another selling point for me, however, I don't think that Fleischmann were moving with the times. They were producing electric and diesel locomotives with moulded handrails and wipers while their competitors were applying these separately. Being produced in Germany they were disadvantaged too as other companies moved production to counties where labour costs are cheaper.

I have several HAG model locomotives [Re 460] which I purchased in the early/mid noughties but I started to concentrate on my Fleischmann collection and those locomotives became redundant quite quickly. It was my intention to get rolling stock to operate with them but I decided to focus on my DB AG collection. I still take them  out of their' boxes to look at them but, I know, one of these days I'll have to off load them.

• 2 years later...
On 2/3/2018 at 5:29 PM, Garfield said:

.... By concentrating on N, Fleischmann avoid overlap with Roco, which is also owned by Modelleisenbahn Holding GmbH. I assume all relevant HO tooling will be transferred to Roco,....

The spares service is to all intents and purposes unified - some of the parts for Fleischmann HO are interchangeable with Roco HO - best example I can think of is the ex-Bavarian S3/6

On 27/6/2018 at 4:57 PM, connollystn said:

....I have several HAG model locomotives [Re 460] which I purchased in the early/mid noughties ...

I have sixty HAG Re460s and other HAG Swiss stock that needs offloading - they are the equivalent of Wrenn/HD, being die-cast, with motor bogie technology that hasn't changed in about 20+ years. HAG price tags were eye-watering back then.

There's just something about the quality of those locomotives [HAG Re 460s] you can't beat. I keep looking at them and saying that someday I'll rid myself of them but can't bring myself 'round to doing so. Maybe I'll keep them and just get a few wagons to run behind them. There's just no way that I'd recoup anywhere near what I paid for them. Mind, when I bought them at the time they were for keeps and I never buy anything thinking what their value will be in years to come, otherwise, they'd been left in the boxes untouched.

4 hours ago, connollystn said:

There's just something about the quality of those locomotives [HAG Re 460s] you can't beat. I keep looking at them and saying that someday I'll rid myself of them but can't bring myself 'round to doing so. Maybe I'll keep them and just get a few wagons to run behind them. There's just no way that I'd recoup anywhere near what I paid for them. Mind, when I bought them at the time they were for keeps and I never buy anything thinking what their value will be in years to come, otherwise, they'd been left in the boxes untouched.

I ended up with them many years ago when a friend died, but I've had difficulty selling the things

Some model railway shops will buy part or whole collections. I know that Rails of Sheffield buy second hand items and, I've seen some places on mainland Europe advertising the same also. No point in holding onto stock that you're not going to use. When I've sold items in the past I've done so on the basis that they are of no modelling value to me and was better off selling them. Some of your HAG Re 460s maybe more valuable than others - depending on which advertisement they carry. It'd be worth checking out eBay to see what the going rate for second hand HAG items are going for so you have some idea what you should be getting. There is a classifieds section on here also, you should check that out but, the market for continental model railway items in Ireland is quite small.

• 1 year later...