Metal Baseboard Frames

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

In a small experiment today I made up a small baseboard frame in literally 10minutes using metal studding. The completed frame was absolutely rigid, square, in perfect alignment and lightweight. I thought it was a novel way of building quick frames that would withstand many years of abuse.

The only problem I would envisage would be the obvious danger of contact with electricity.

I have thought about this, it would have to be cheaper than using wood and not bend or warp. It could be thinner than traditional methods but that is no good if you want to put point motors and wiring underneath. There probably aren't many benefits over traditional construction methods.

Heres a sample I made up today and it really is firm. It is very simple to fit an intermediate section for added strength but really no need.

Theres no risk of bending or warping, timber is more likely to do this through changes in moisture content.

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Part of me thinks that if it was that simple, why haven't we all been doing it for years?

Then again, maybe you have hit on something really interesting.

Because metal studwork really only came into it's own in the last few years, mostly for commercial fit outs for ceilings and partitions. Less mess and dust, lightweight, easy to put together. R

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Part of me thinks that if it was that simple, why haven't we all been doing it for years?

Then again, maybe you have hit on something really interesting.

David, I would never have dreamt of it but our plastering lecturer had a large consignment of it donated for training purposes and there was a 'wee bit' left over!

37 minutes ago, Glenderg said:

Because metal studwork really only came into it's own in the last few years, mostly for commercial fit outs for ceilings and partitions. Less mess and dust, lightweight, easy to put together. R

I'll be honest, it took me less than 10 minutes to build each frame. Its so easy to cut and crimp using the proper dry walling tools.

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

What's your plans for them GNR?

Paul

Paul

A friend wanted them for an attic layout that needed to be transportable.

My only reservations about them is they aren’t as easy to bore as timber. 

Edited by GNRi1959