Irish Rail Snowplough

Rate this question

RANGERMOUSE

Question

I've just passed York station and there is a fearsome looking Snowplough belonging to Network Rail in the sidings North of the station. Having been on the Dromad to Dublin yesterday and passed through the snow covered countryside I was wondering if there was something similar at home?

7 answers to this question

CIE bought a pair of mini-snow ploughs for the 071s following the blizzard & big snow in January 1980.

Dublin was basically cut off from the rest of the country for a week with most of the main roads blocked, though CIE managed to keep most of the main lines open.

On the day following the blizzard CIE ran a special from Cork with emergency food supplies for Dublin. The Sligo line took a week to clear mainly on account of fallen trees.

John

13 minutes ago, Mayner said:

CIE bought a pair of mini-snow ploughs for the 071s following the blizzard & big snow in January 1980.

Dublin was basically cut off from the rest of the country for a week with most of the main roads blocked, though CIE managed to keep most of the main lines open.

On the day following the blizzard CIE ran a special from Cork with emergency food supplies for Dublin. The Sligo line took a week to clear mainly on account of fallen trees.

John

Was it not January 1982?

Should be the same as on your pc Wrenn, once you have the images in the ipad / tablets photos app, you can just tap the image link and find them on the device, 

Inchicore 2012 351.jpg

Inchicore 2012 352.jpg

Inchicore 2012 353.jpg

These were posted previously by @Glenderg showing a buffer clamped snowplough (2012)

Thanks lads. I didn't think we'd have something as big due to the lack of heavy snow we get. I lived near Inverness for a year and can remember trying to get down the A9 in a blizzard or passing Aviemore on the train in summer and still being able to see snow on the mountains.