Coupling/Uncoupling in a shunting yard

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

5 answers to this question

The more serious modellers tend to use couplings with a delayed uncoupling function. Kaydee is basically the standard for American stock (& Irish) https://kadee.com/ British finescale modellers tend to use a variety of couplings based on the old continental hook and loop coupling or inverted versions of the Triang tension lock.Spratt & Winkle B&B, Dingham not a lot to choose between them reasonably effective, reasonably priced and fiddly to assemble. I used B&B on a British shunting layout very unobtrusive & reliable

• Informative 1

Or you could go for three links, Tony!

Depends on you eyesight I guess. When I modelled in 4mm, found the Smiths three links were usable. Slightly bigger than prototype, but certainly not as ugly as tension locks. Completely prototypical too.

Dinghams work well in 7mm, but your problem will be the turntable, as they are 'handed' and only work one way round.

On Fintonagh, am experimenting with rare earth magnets and Kadees. There is a thread on RMWeb which explains how to use them. 

• Informative 1

Richard at marsh.lane@outlook.com does a magnetic shunter's pole (for 4 mm or 7 mm) costing £14 with payment by Paypal. These work well on Dapol O gauge couplings which can be purchased separately and the third link of any wagon can be changed to work with the magnet. You can see these here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50279-o-gauge-auto-couplings/page-13

• Informative 1

On 23/3/2018 at 7:39 PM, Irishrailwayman said:

Richard at marsh.lane@outlook.com does a magnetic shunter's pole (for 4 mm or 7 mm) costing £14 with payment by Paypal. These work well on Dapol O gauge couplings which can be purchased separately and the third link of any wagon can be changed to work with the magnet. You can see these here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50279-o-gauge-auto-couplings/page-13

Would a screwdriver with a magnetic tip do the job?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Would a screwdriver with a magnetic tip do the job?

Worth a try. Unfortunately, Richard Marsh is no longer supplying the shunter's pole. I have found these very effective with my new O Gauge layout "Buffers Lock" shown at the Wexford May Exhibition and booked for the Belfast Exhibition in August 2023.