Sligo to Castlebar direct

Rate this topic

The only way by train is via Dublin.

As an aside, I can only see one way of doing it completely by heavy rail, as follows:

-1300 Sligo - Connolly

-1640 Grand Canal Dock - Newbridge (from Connolly)

-1730 Heuston - Galway (from Newbridge to Athlone)

-1815 Heuston - Westport, arriving in Castlebar at 2104

This only works Mon-Fri

4 hours ago, craven1508 said:

Hard Lines the railway closed and others under threat?  We had a better service 40 years ago. 

I disagree:  Both the Mayo and Sligo lines have a faster more frequent passenger service than they ever had, the Bus Eireannn service from Westport Castlebar to Sligo via Ballina is more direct and scenic than by rail through Claremorris

The Burma Road (Sligo-Claremorris) closed to passenger services over 50 years ago was primarily intended for people travelling to Limerick, though in 1897 the 5:45 a.m. from Sligo connected into the MGWR down Limited Mail at Claremorris at 11:00 arriving in Claremorris at 11:36. At that time there appears to have been a morning and afternoon passenger service over the Burma road, the afternoon service was a mixed goods and passenger train or for a time machine!

I am not sure if it was possible to travel by rail from Sligo to Castlebar by rail before the Burma Road closed to passenger traffic when the service was down to a single return Sligo-Limerick working