Sign in to follow this  
jhb171achill

CIE Locomotive Grey specification

It's BS18 BS29 Raven, I'm reliably informed.

This is what is on 186 currently, and when painted this way all eye witnesses who saw her, and who remembered the original, agreed that it looked correct.

They are British Standard codes, for "Method for tensile testing of metals", and a "Specification for carbon steel forgings above 150 mm ruling section"...O.o

18 B 29 is the colour code, from the BS 4800/5252 Colour Range, and is described as "Raven". Where is she now, would love to throw the RAL cards up against her to get a number. 

She's in Whitehead museum. Available to visit at any time (well, during the odd hours the place is actually open to the public!)....

Sorry, excuse my ignorance, but that's the way it was described to me! 😃

I took some pictures a while back.

Here are two that show the grey colour.

053.JPG

077.JPG

• Like 1

Excellent.... and if you look at the wheels in the lower pic, you can see what it looks like when oily.

The upper pic shows a rare thing - what it looked like when clean in working days!

Note the smokebox. It looks much darker, and it is - but this is far from prototypical.  The RPSI correctly painted it grey like the rest of the loco, but because some volunteers simply thought it "didn't look right" (always a fatal mistake in historical accuracy in preservation), they "allowed" it to darken through not polishing it clean.

I was going to ask about the smoke box colour but that answers that.

066.JPG

• Like 1

A smoke box will weather differently to the boiler and smoke box cladding as its exposed to direct heat from the smoke from the fire and exhaust steam. So a rusty or burnt smoke box was quite prototypical on a hard worked loco.

2 hours ago, Mayner said:

A smoke box will weather differently to the boiler and smoke box cladding as its exposed to direct heat from the smoke from the fire and exhaust steam. So a rusty or burnt smoke box was quite prototypical on a hard worked loco.

'Tis true indeed, prototypically, but in this case the contrast is too great; the rest of the loco looks to clean to match the way the smokebox is.