IRM Plough Preordering Now Open!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

5acf87402f9ed_IEPloughs.thumb.png.7aaeb53d5bef70c1b81057de93866b87.png

5acf875c74f1c_IRPLOUGHS.thumb.png.5c05590290c7ab7c86589a03f0eb01bb.png

Our next model, the highly exclusive CIÉ/Irish Rail 24850-24854 series ballast plough van, is now available to pre-order ahead of delivery in August 2018!

Five of the CIÉ/Irish Rail 24850-24854 series vans were introduced in 1978 to supersede elderly pre-grouping vans for the Civil Engineering Department. They usually ran in pairs, top-and-tailing ballast hopper trains across the Irish railway network until their withdrawal in 2013.

Following the success of our first model, the CIÉ/Irish Rail Ballast Hopper wagons, it seemed fitting to add the Ballast Plough to our range to complete a typical Irish ballast train. The model will utilise the same chassis as the ballast hopper and cement bubbles as per prototype, and will include features such as fully detailed interior, wire mesh on the windows (where appropriate) and full DCC control of interior and tail lights via a two function 8 pin decoder (not supplied). The vans will also feature switches to operate these features on analogue systems.

The Plough Vans will be made in a strictly limited production run. Four of the five vans will be represented in this batch of releases, with the vans coming in two packs of two for a sale price of €119.95. This price reflects the very small production volume and complexity of the model.

There will be an IR and IE pack, both carrying CIÉ/Irish Rail ‘Machinery Yellow’ as per prototype. The IR pack will feature two vans with the IR ‘points’ logo, gained in the late 1980’s and observed on some plough vans as late as 2006. The second will be in IE livery, which represents the final years of these unique vans.

These vans will nicely finish off rakes of IRM ballast wagons and help complete an authentic Irish ballast train. Orders are now being taken via the IRM website: http://irishrailwaymodels.com/product-category/freight-stock/ballast-plough/

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

7 minutes ago, Railer said:

They're up but marked as sold out.

Fixed to pre order on refresh 

It works ok if you are logged into your IRM account.  Just successfully ordered.  But the link above won't work unless logged into IRMs shop site.

2 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

Thought IRM were doing these in CIE initial livery with CIE logo and no window bars. 

Hi Noel, we may do them at a later date but these vans fit with the era of our ballast hopper release so it made sense to do these liveries to compliment them. 

Cheers

Fran

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Railer said:

Can't wait to see pre production samples.

Also some serious weathering to be going on with these, they were in some state like they had a fight with a JCB towards the end.

Agree these look stunning. I don't like modern yellow stuff but will make an exception because these look absolutely exquisite and will go nicely with the ballasts. I hope to weather the yellow almost out of sight to a grimy brownish look. :) 

I presume the NEM pockets will be at the same height as the Ballasts which should make kadee hookup easy.  Will only need an adjusted height on the rear of the lead plough to hook up to a loco via kadee.  

Request please lads re the interior lighting, 'warm white' please rather than 'cool white' (alias blue tint), and not too bright.  Some of the MM loco cab lights seem as bright and blue as arc welding torches. Well done lads these look a stunning prospect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warbonnet said:

Correct Noel, this utilises the Bubble / Ballast chassis. 

Cheers Fran.  If I understood the announcement properly, am I right to assume the lights can also work without a DCC decoder on a DCC layout (i.e. just stay on all the time from track feed via switches)?  Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Cheers Fran.  If I understood the announcement properly, am I right to assume the lights can also work without a DCC decoder on a DCC layout (i.e. just stay on all the time from track feed via switches)?  Noel

No Noel, for DCC control it will need a decoder. The switch is for DC use. 

2 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

No Noel, for DCC control it will need a decoder. The switch is for DC use. 

Thanks. Ok I mistakenly thought decoders might just be needed for DCC switching rather than power. Ouch - two €25 decoders needed in addition then! Is there a CAD drawing showing where the decoders would be installed, and if there will be an 8 or 21 pin socket?  Would a function only decoder such as the ESU LokPilot Fx V4 suit?

12 minutes ago, Noel said:

Thanks. Ok I mistakenly thought decoders might just be needed for DCC switching rather than power. Ouch - two €25 decoders needed in addition then! Is there a CAD drawing showing where the decoders would be installed, and if there will be an 8 or 21 pin socket?  Would a function only decoder such as the ESU LokPilot Fx V4 suit?

You can get two function decoders for a lot less than 25 euro if you know where to look. We will have chips to recommend in the coming weeks. They will be 8 pin and installed inside the van.

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, Noel said:

Agree these look stunning. I don't like modern yellow stuff but will make an exception because these look absolutely exquisite and will go nicely with the ballasts. I hope to weather the yellow almost out of sight to a grimy brownish look. :) 

I presume the NEM pockets will be at the same height as the Ballasts which should make kadee hookup easy.  Will only need an adjusted height on the rear of the lead plough to hook up to a loco via kadee.  

Request please lads re the interior lighting, 'warm white' please rather than 'cool white' (alias blue tint), and not too bright.  Some of the MM loco cab lights seem as bright and blue as arc welding torches. Well done lads these look a stunning prospect. 

Christ Noel, your worse than a politician for changing your mind.Are you sure you haven't got some autoballasters tucked away somewhere, that you take out for a sneaky run when nobody's looking :P 

• Funny 2

I have added varnish and nail varnish to LEDs to mute output on N gauge models  - where overscale lighting is a real problem.

Certainly on Dapol signals you can yellow down the LED to an oil lamp colour and brightness. 

I can see many pairs being sold before plastic moulded and then subject to a great dirtying up fest, certainly mine will get an oily and rust washing - some great pics on the web so thanks to all concerned. 

Robert        

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, jason brady said:

Noel, your worse than a politician for changing your mind.Are you sure you haven't got some autoballasters tucked away somewhere, that you take out for a sneaky run when nobody's looking :P 

I know, I know, boring uniform modern era mk2 sets invaded the layout a few weeks ago, now going to permit yellow contamination, where will it all end Ted? :) And it gets worse - bogie infestation - never seen a real Tara in my life, they mean nothing to me, some sort of a broach is all I remember from school, but they make super cute looking models so may be the only bogie freight wagons I ever permit. And at least they are nice and short.

Honestly I have no autoballasters and never will, as Fr Sheamus Fitzpatrick might say about allied war memorabilia "that sort of thing wouldn't interest me at all at all:)  

Sorry Noel, I reread the spec and I have made an error re DCC. The functionally is the following;

There is on/off capability with DCC chip, but if you do not fit one the lighting will be on as a constant. So strictly you do not need to fit a DCC chip to have lights on with DCC, but you will have control if you fit a chip.

apologies for the confusion! 

12 minutes ago, craven1508 said:

Sorry lads but do these have to be paid for now? Or is it a reserve job.

Hi Craven, yes if you order now it’s payment up front as it’s how our web system works. You can of course run the risk of waiting for them to be released and hope they don’t sell out before release.

cheers,

Fran

17 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Sorry Noel, I reread the spec and I have made an error re DCC. The functionally is the following;

There is on/off capability with DCC chip, but if you do not fit one the lighting will be on as a constant. So strictly you do not need to fit a DCC chip to have lights on with DCC, but you will have control if you fit a chip.

apologies for the confusion! 

No worries, thats great. Thanks Fran. Looking forward to these.

Edited by Noel

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I know, I know, boring uniform modern era mk2 sets invaded the layout a few weeks ago, now going to permit yellow contamination, where will it all end Ted? :) And it gets worse - bogie infestation - never seen a real Tara in my life, they mean nothing to me, some sort of a broach is all I remember from school, but they make super cute looking models so may be the only bogie freight wagons I ever permit. And at least they are nice and short.

Honestly I have no autoballasters and never will, as Fr Sheamus Fitzpatrick might say about allied war memorabilia "that sort of thing wouldn't interest me at all at all:)  

I've been to the doctor, Noel. There's good news - if you have an infestation of bogies, the antidote is a pair of filthy J15s and a green "C" class. They'll shunt them into a shed, allowing proper four-wheeled goods stock to take their place.

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I've been to the doctor, Noel. There's good news - if you have an infestation of bogies, the antidote is a pair of filthy J15s and a green "C" class. They'll shunt them into a shed, allowing proper four-wheeled goods stock to take their place.

Phew, thanks @jhb171achill. Lucky for me one J15 and one green "C" class are already being prepared in the apothecaries bottle. There may be hope for a 'bogie' cure yet, but I am still concerned about 'yellow' fever.

• Like 1

Thanks men, we’re at the 20% presold already! We were always a bit apprehensive about doing the plough as we could only ever do them in such a low quantity. While we will do another batch of hoppers some time in the future it’s unlikely we’d have call to do a further batch of ploughs. It’s great to see you all get behind them and vindicate the decision! 🙂

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Thanks men, we’re at the 20% presold already! We were always a bit apprehensive about doing the plough as we could only ever do them in such a low quantity. While we will do another batch of hoppers some time in the future it’s unlikely we’d have call to do a further batch of ploughs. It’s great to see you all get behind them and vindicate the decision! 🙂

It was a good call. :-bd Nearly every customer who bought a rake of ballasts should be a prospect for a pair of these so you know the numbers. You've even convinced me despite my 'yellow fever' paranoia. :) I'm sure these will sell out quickly once all your existing ballast customers find out about them.