barrow street

Rate this topic

warb

Have to say that the first image really got me when I saw the DNG "For Sale" poster and thought, "ooh, 475k for starters anyway...." 

I made up the ones below in 2012, and have higher resolution versions if of any interest.  R. 

Billboard_Posters_Lo_Res.jpg

• Like 2

Macken Street was one of my first gricing spots, on Saturday morning my father went into the Bosch distributor in Townsend Street. I remember watching an American style diesel apparently shuttling back and forward light engine across the bridge. This was in the late 60s Westland Row was a main line terminal and Grand Canal Street a busy locomotive depot. 

A few years later I traveled on the railway on school holiday trips to Bray, the line between Westland Row and Grand Canal St shed was a relatively modern and intensively operated railway by Irish standards with search light colour light signals with an elevated art-deco style signal cabin dating from the 1930s  straddling the lines at the south end of Westland Row Station.  While South Eastern Section suburban trains tended to work through to Connolly, the section of line between Westland Row station and Grand Canal shed could be very busy with light engine and empty stock movements in connection with main line train services to Rosslare and the West of Ireland.

In addition to the light engine and passenger traffic, International Meat Packers plant on the West side of the current Barrow St station still received cattle by rail into the 1970s with a short loop serving a cattle bank off the up-relief? road between Grand Canal Street and Westland Row station.

Des Coakham wrote an excellent article on Grand Canal Shed in the 1950s in Railway Bylines Summer Special No 5 (possibly 2002) despite re-signalling and electrification most of the infrastructure remained un-changed in its gritty industrial setting until the area was transformed by inner-city development and the demolition of Grand Canal St loco depot and the construction of the new station in its place in the early 2000s.

3 hours ago, popeye said:

Very nice. You wouldn't get your van under that bridge. 🚚 🚚 🚑 

Hard enough to walk under the bridge let alone drive 😊.  

Erne and Macken Street bridges are still popular places for converting double into single decker busses.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Mayner said:

International Meat Packers plant on the West side of the current Barrow St station still received cattle by rail into the 1970s

Yes Mayner and reading your contribution I was reminded of the awful smell that once emanated from that factory which would hang about the place on a regular basis .

Great modelling 

29 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Yes Mayner and reading your contribution I was reminded of the awful smell that once emanated from that factory which would hang about the place on a regular basis .

Great modelling 

Dont! He'll only add that in....

The word 'incredible' has been used to describe this three times, so far. I don't think that's right - it is the very credibility of it that is shocking.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 11:12 PM, Glenderg said:

Have to say that the first image really got me when I saw the DNG "For Sale" poster and thought, "ooh, 475k for starters anyway...." 

I made up the ones below in 2012, and have higher resolution versions if of any interest.  R. 

Billboard_Posters_Lo_Res.jpg

I would love some ,Thanks Paddy

On 6/5/2018 at 6:30 PM, StevieB said:

I wonder if MRJ would be interested in featuring this finescale model railway. The overall effect is quite outstanding.

Stephen

It would be good if they did, but MRJ is notoriously fickle. For a long time, they never went outside Britain, then Pempoul came along and broke the mould, as it were. Since then, there have been a couple of Irish layouts, so who knows? With guest editors these days, depends on Barrow Road catching their attention.

I sent an article on Arigna Town once, by post (they don't do email), and included a CD with text and photos. One of the latter made it into the magazine, but otherwise I never received any acknowledgement.

By and large, they stick with what (and who) they know, which is not being derogatory, it is just how it is. I have got every issue, including zero, and still enjoy each new copy, even though the content isn't always what I am interested in. It's all about pushing the boundaries and getting back to Barrow Road, that is certainly a criteria you can apply. Let's hope it gets the attention it deserves.