barrow street

Rate this topic

warb

• 3 weeks later...

I need to visit Dublin again.  When you mentioned this building I googled it (Jeeves was having a lie down!) to see what it looked like. The skyline of the city has changed dramatically from the last time I was there so for now your layout will have to be my map. 

Paul

On 7/5/2018 at 5:51 PM, warb said:

also excluding the three storey undergronud car park

I'm sure we can forgive leaving out the underground car park!!!   😉

Looking fantastic as always - incredible level of modelling.

Thanks for sharing.

25 minutes ago, warb said:

more work done

DSCF3938.JPG

DSCF3939.JPG

DSCF3940.JPG

DSCF3941.JPG

On 7/8/2018 at 6:54 PM, warb said:

Test sample of ceiling complete only 18 to do

DSCF3931.JPG

DSCF3932.JPG

DSCF3933.JPG

DSCF3934.JPG

Hi Warb.

Nice to see a model of a Composite floor system.

Are you modelling the building under construction?  

Combination of building elements, shuttering, cranes and other plant would make an interesting and very different model.

Very impressive model and structure.

Generally with a building of this nature 1-2 floor levels of composite steel decking are installed before the concrete topping is laid, depending on type of decking and span the decking may or may not require propping. 

These days edge protection and safety netting would be installed to a floor level before the composite decking is installed on a level.

The steel decking acts as a crash deck for workers (typically steelfixers & concrete layers) working below the structural steel erectors.

Floor design and construction loadings with composite slabs is critical, I had one near miss on a project I was managing about 20 years ago and investigated a couple of composite floor collapses, in two cases the decks were supposedly designed to be self supporting.

Service installation/interior fit out can take place on the lower levels once slab meets minimum required strength, it gets a bit more complicated where propping is required as it may be necessary to back prop to lower levels of the building.

Generally the planner/project manager would avoid installing cladding to an elevation until structural steelwork and concrete works are complete to the full height of a building to eliminate the risk of damage to the (very expensive) cladding.

• Like 1

A layout that just keeps on giving. I have always loved the 'railway in the landscape' concept, with less = more where track is concerned. Barrow Street is lifting things to new levels with its additional vertical elements. Not something many of us have space for, so all the more admirable.

What a beast! This must be one of the largest individual 4mm scale buildings on a private model railway. 

Can't think of anything comparable, though did see a 13 storey tower block on a 7mm scale American outline model which was similarly impressive. Notable too for its pre dcc Pacific Fast Mail sound system hooked up to the mother and father of all stereo systems with five foot speaker stacks. When the triple unit diesel started up, the earth moved, as did most of your body's internal organs!

Presume it will fit through the door to the railway room?!?

Stunning stuff.

• Like 1

This is an absolutely stupendous feat of modelling! I know this area very well myself, and have done since I was a small child, so I'm well aware of how perfectly it has captured the atmosphere of the area. A strongly built-up cityscape is an extremely hard thing to do convincingly and this has carried it off so well. Once "scenery-fied", it will be an absolute masterpiece. Very well done, and like many here i look forward to seeing progress taking place,

Doubtless many of a certain age here are aware that under the brown paint on the balconies of the flats, are tiled murals of black'n'tan carriages...... These were put in place in the 1960s.

On 7/26/2018 at 12:41 AM, jhb171achill said:

Doubtless many of a certain age here are aware that under the brown paint on the balconies of the flats, are tiled murals of black'n'tan carriages...... These were put in place in the 1960s.

Think there are/were similar murals (including a steam train) on the flats near where the North Strand Rd crosses over the Royal Canal and railway.

• 2 weeks later...

Without exception this has got to be the most magnificently detailed piece of model railway building ever seen in this country, dare I say anywhere!  I for one have never witnessed craftsmanship like it anywhere, & I know the areas in & around Barrow Street where my late father was born & reared as the detail is off the scale.  I have said cometh the moment, cometh the man, this has got to be an utterly magnificent build. !   Congratulations to you sir, you have set a boundary that I do not expect to see beaten let alone equalled in my lifetime.  

BTB

Edited by burnthebox
Spelling
  • Like 3