071 fleet overhaul updates.

Rate this topic

Only 2 071s are now left in the freight livery with 075 only just gone in in recent days and all cab panels stripped off already.

074 and 086 are the last two in line.

079 and 072 are in the works painted up awaiting final finishing before re entering traffic.

• Like 1

Fab photo of 079 Noel. It really is great to see 071s being overhauled and especially that they are needed for future traffic. If I never saw another photo of an ICR I wouldn't even notice, but these GMs are epic machines. Impressive work by the IR engineering team. The loco looks like new.

• Thanks 1

Just looking at the last shot of 079, painted date shows December '17. That's a good few months getting other things done, was she waiting on new refurb bogies. I know 082 spent months on temp bogies during overhaul.

To me I always find it odd that the livery application is not left till last after all other work is complete.

11 hours ago, Railer said:

Just looking at the last shot of 079, painted date shows December '17. That's a good few months getting other things done, was she waiting on new refurb bogies. I know 082 spent months on temp bogies during overhaul.

To me I always find it odd that the livery application is not left till last after all other work is complete.

Awaiting refurbished bogies......

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hear 074 was taken off Tara duty on Wednesday and sent to Inchicore for it's overhaul leaving 086 as the final freight livery 071. Delighted to have got both these locos on the Branch line tour earlier in the year. 086 in particular with some great performance, noise and smell. It's taken little over 5 years so far but the fleet is almost there. 

Edited by Railer

4 minutes ago, Railer said:

I hear 074 was taken off Tara duty on Wednesday and sent to Inchicore for it's overhaul leaving 086 as the final freight livery 071. Delighted to have got both these locos on the Branch line tour earlier in the year. 086 in particular with some great performance, noise and smell. It's taken little over 5 years so far but the fleet is almost there. 

Correct-075 was heading for the paint shop I was told.

Interesting to speculate what exactly all eighteen of these beasts will do with the DFDS cancelled. How many are in traffic on a daily basis to cope with what few containers are left, the sticks and the Tara?

On that note, how many 201s does it take, on a daily basis, to look after the Enterprise and the Mk 4s?

9 hours ago, Railer said:

It certainly was an added bonus to get both locos on the tour back in April Railer. I too was delighted to get a few shots of both looking a little worse for wear, especially 086 sporting it's black and orange cab door and 074 with its IE logo missing, but as you said both sounding great. 

27 minutes ago, jason brady said:

It certainly was an added bonus to get both locos on the tour back in April Railer. I too was delighted to get a few shots of both looking a little worse for wear, especially 086 sporting it's black and orange cab door and 074 with its IE logo missing, but as you said both sounding great. 

And 075 stabled with a HOBs rake at the first stop at Carlow made it 3 for 3.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe 072 has been out on a test run and 075 is almost complete. Love to know why they number spacing is so inconsistent. 075 has the older closer spacing compared to 072, while 079 is somewhere in between. 

I'll leave it to tcc aka Noel to put up his pics of 075 sitting next to 225 in the works.

Edited by Railer

5 hours ago, Railer said:

I believe 072 has been out on a test run and 075 is almost complete. Love to know why they number spacing is so inconsistent. 075 has the older closer spacing compared to 072, while 079 is somewhere in between. 

I'll leave it to tcc aka Noel to put up his pics of 075 sitting next to 225 in the works.

As requested...….0117075

IMG_E4982.JPG

IMG_E4986.JPG

• Like 2

On 6/8/2018 at 12:04 AM, jhb171achill said:

Interesting to speculate what exactly all eighteen of these beasts will do with the DFDS cancelled. How many are in traffic on a daily basis to cope with what few containers are left, the sticks and the Tara?

On that note, how many 201s does it take, on a daily basis, to look after the Enterprise and the Mk 4s?

Never been able to fill in all the blanks but here’s my best shot:

Taras: 2- 071s from Mon to Fri

Timber: 2 -071s from Mon to Sat

IWT: 3 -071s or 201s from Mon to Sat

Limerick Pilot: 1 -071 all week, wagon transfers on a Thursday 

Waterford Pilot: 1- 071 all week, wagon transfers on a weds/thurs?

Belmond: 1- 201 Tues-Fri, 1- 071 Fri-Mon

Enterprise: 3-201s all week

Cork: 8-201s all week, when all 8 sets of MK IVs are in use.. 

Cork line Thunderbird/ stand by: 1-201

Belfast line thunderbird/ stand by: 1-201

DFDS would have been 1-071 from Mon to Weds

Edited by MOGUL

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I still occasionally meet people who insist that all CIE steam engines were black*; others who see black and say it's grey, and others who see grey and thinks it's black.

As can be seen above, there's probably no colour that seems to vary as much when it's photographed in different light! This means that photographs are very misleading in some cases, and in others anyone who personally remembers the colour concerned will be able to see that whatever is in a particular photo IS right, based on memory. And some people have better memories for colour than other!

I'll add my tuppence-worth to the idea that I would love to see an 071 in black'n'tan, or even lined flying-snail-adorned CIE green! (Why not? A lot of people about would remember it from buses at least!)..........

(*Many were after the mid 1950s, but the majority weren't!)

Edited by jhb171achill