Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Railer

071 fleet overhaul updates.

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Only 2 071s are now left in the freight livery with 075 only just gone in in recent days and all cab panels stripped off already.

074 and 086 are the last two in line.

079 and 072 are in the works painted up awaiting final finishing before re entering traffic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They just need to give 078 some new 7s. When she was brought in last year she got the new larger font numbers replacing the older ones that 076 and 085 carry. Somehow they left her as 0 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0117079 will shortly be ready for traffic-It was on the load bank at Inchicore last Friday.

IMG_E3543.JPG

IMG_E3549.JPG

IMG_E3545.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fab photo of 079 Noel. It really is great to see 071s being overhauled and especially that they are needed for future traffic. If I never saw another photo of an ICR I wouldn't even notice, but these GMs are epic machines. Impressive work by the IR engineering team. The loco looks like new.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at the last shot of 079, painted date shows December '17. That's a good few months getting other things done, was she waiting on new refurb bogies. I know 082 spent months on temp bogies during overhaul.

To me I always find it odd that the livery application is not left till last after all other work is complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Railer said:

Just looking at the last shot of 079, painted date shows December '17. That's a good few months getting other things done, was she waiting on new refurb bogies. I know 082 spent months on temp bogies during overhaul.

To me I always find it odd that the livery application is not left till last after all other work is complete.

Awaiting refurbished bogies......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

079 released to traffic yesterday. Went to Portarlington sidings to stable with spoil wagons already there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, Railer said:

079 released to traffic yesterday. Went to Portarlington sidings to stable with spoil wagons already there. 

 

IMG_3724.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

 

IMG_3724.JPG

Its not as realistic as Tara junction, no men at work, no action going on here :dig:

Seriously, nice pic :tumbsup:

PS: 079 hasn't yet been fitted with kadee's and not even weathered.

  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

And that grey is entirely the wrong shade.

Nah, it's the yellow warning panel that's off.🤐

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0117072 is next up to be released to traffic after its body work overhaul and repaint.

 

IMG_4121.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I hear 074 was taken off Tara duty on Wednesday and sent to Inchicore for it's overhaul leaving 086 as the final freight livery 071. Delighted to have got both these locos on the Branch line tour earlier in the year. 086 in particular with some great performance, noise and smell. It's taken little over 5 years so far but the fleet is almost there. 

Edited by Railer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Railer said:

I hear 074 was taken off Tara duty on Wednesday and sent to Inchicore for it's overhaul leaving 086 as the final freight livery 071. Delighted to have got both these locos on the Branch line tour earlier in the year. 086 in particular with some great performance, noise and smell. It's taken little over 5 years so far but the fleet is almost there. 

Correct-075 was heading for the paint shop I was told.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, saw a pic of her on Facebook all plated up. Some commented that it looked very Madmax like. 

FB_IMG_1528308398755.jpg

Edited by Railer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to speculate what exactly all eighteen of these beasts will do with the DFDS cancelled. How many are in traffic on a daily basis to cope with what few containers are left, the sticks and the Tara?

On that note, how many 201s does it take, on a daily basis, to look after the Enterprise and the Mk 4s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Railer said:

I hear 074 was taken off Tara duty on Wednesday and sent to Inchicore for it's overhaul leaving 086 as the final freight livery 071. Delighted to have got both these locos on the Branch line tour earlier in the year. 086 in particular with some great performance, noise and smell. It's taken little over 5 years so far but the fleet is almost there. 

It certainly was an added bonus to get both locos on the tour back in April Railer. I too was delighted to get a few shots of both looking a little worse for wear, especially 086 sporting it's black and orange cab door and 074 with its IE logo missing, but as you said both sounding great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jason brady said:

It certainly was an added bonus to get both locos on the tour back in April Railer. I too was delighted to get a few shots of both looking a little worse for wear, especially 086 sporting it's black and orange cab door and 074 with its IE logo missing, but as you said both sounding great. 

And 075 stabled with a HOBs rake at the first stop at Carlow made it 3 for 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I believe 072 has been out on a test run and 075 is almost complete. Love to know why they number spacing is so inconsistent. 075 has the older closer spacing compared to 072, while 079 is somewhere in between. 

I'll leave it to tcc aka Noel to put up his pics of 075 sitting next to 225 in the works.

Edited by Railer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Railer said:

I believe 072 has been out on a test run and 075 is almost complete. Love to know why they number spacing is so inconsistent. 075 has the older closer spacing compared to 072, while 079 is somewhere in between. 

I'll leave it to tcc aka Noel to put up his pics of 075 sitting next to 225 in the works.

As requested...….0117075

 

IMG_E4982.JPG

IMG_E4986.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2018 at 12:04 AM, jhb171achill said:

Interesting to speculate what exactly all eighteen of these beasts will do with the DFDS cancelled. How many are in traffic on a daily basis to cope with what few containers are left, the sticks and the Tara?

On that note, how many 201s does it take, on a daily basis, to look after the Enterprise and the Mk 4s?

Never been able to fill in all the blanks but here’s my best shot:

 

Taras: 2- 071s from Mon to Fri

Timber: 2 -071s from Mon to Sat

IWT: 3 -071s or 201s from Mon to Sat

Limerick Pilot: 1 -071 all week, wagon transfers on a Thursday 

Waterford Pilot: 1- 071 all week, wagon transfers on a weds/thurs?

Belmond: 1- 201 Tues-Fri, 1- 071 Fri-Mon

Enterprise: 3-201s all week

Cork: 8-201s all week, when all 8 sets of MK IVs are in use.. 

Cork line Thunderbird/ stand by: 1-201

Belfast line thunderbird/ stand by: 1-201

DFDS would have been 1-071 from Mon to Weds

 

 

Edited by MOGUL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0117072 was released to traffic on Tuesday  26/06/18,it worked the Northwall- Ballina IWT liner and is seen here parked in Ballina freight yard.

 

IMG_5022.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

086 has gone in for overhaul. The black and silver livery is now history. 

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 074.jpg.86d4f761430424ce775454e9a93fd6ce.jpg

 

Again, and many thanks to Noel for his pictures, 074 in the works. 

Edited by Railer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some pictures I took on the RPSI tour yesterday.

082 chilling at Dundalk

082.thumb.jpg.eee530cd77623cd47429bac89fe58254.jpg

083 on the BGH at Connolly083.thumb.jpg.3396d42120d552d9b29c40e3516ec8f1.jpg

084.thumb.jpg.5c1482b3effb8662ffe273fce27de175.jpg

And 084 chilling at Drogheda

 

 

  • Like 3
  • WOW! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd rumours circulating that 086 may emerge from the paint shop in something not quite battleship grey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Railer said:

Odd rumours circulating that 086 may emerge from the paint shop in something not quite battleship grey?

Belmond blue perhaps???? :dancing:

  • WOW! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ttc0169 said:

Belmond blue perhaps???? :dancing:

oh you big tease! I was thinking either black and tan or A class silver would've looked the part! 😂

Sounds good all the same! 

  • WOW! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Railer said:

A B&T 071 would be an amazing sight. 

It sure would.  Even better a GM 201 class in B&T livery!!! :)  I am half tempted to respray an orange MM 201 that I have in B&T livery.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still occasionally meet people who insist that all CIE steam engines were black*; others who see black and say it's grey, and others who see grey and thinks it's black.

As can be seen above, there's probably no colour that seems to vary as much when it's photographed in different light! This means that photographs are very misleading in some cases, and in others anyone who personally remembers the colour concerned will be able to see that whatever is in a particular photo IS right, based on memory. And some people have better memories for colour than other!

I'll add my tuppence-worth to the idea that I would love to see an 071 in black'n'tan, or even lined flying-snail-adorned CIE green! (Why not? A lot of people about would remember it from buses at least!)..........

 

 

 

 

(*Many were after the mid 1950s, but the majority weren't!)

Edited by jhb171achill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one of 073 early in it's overhaul process. Also with 230 being rebuilt and overhauled, 215 receiving some mods and 211 and the end being stripped of parts and windscreens boarded up.

1542531477_InchicoreLineup.thumb.jpg.9e7a170570ad4f930449d230db3f1e69.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are some of the mothballed orange 201s (i.e. without the push-pull gear) being used just for spare parts and being permanently put out to ferment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Noel said:

Are some of the mothballed orange 201s (i.e. without the push-pull gear) being used just for spare parts and being permanently put out to ferment?

Basically, yes all the block 1 201s are being used for parts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

Terms of Use