C.I.E. Last Steam Train Driver passes

Rate this topic

burnthebox

• 2 years later...

Mr Geraghty, this is as far we’ve got - I take no credit for this, for I “Phoned a Friend” – in this case David Houston of Dublin, who reports -

“Your Grandfather, Joe Dennis, was a Dublin Amiens St. driver. A very cheerful guy, always good for a laugh and a bit of craic; always said yes for a footplate trip.

Joe turned up frequently on local runs, and was quite a lively runner. On one occasion he did 60 tender first down Rush with 199 Lough Derg (a GNR “Old” U Class) on a Mosney turn. Interestingly that run was mentioned in the Railway Magazine Traction Performance article when they asked for any interesting tender first runs, and I submitted that run.

1683011901_OldUNo.64UTAatNewry.thumb.jpeg.6e6a4061fe3d9238927c856ef32b4043.jpeg

199’s sister, 196 Lough Gill, restarts a train from Newry Dublin Bridge, Sunday 26 June 1959.  Photo by the late Lance King, © IRRS

"David was, until recently of the view that Joe died somewhere in the Donabate/Rush area when he got out of the cab of a railcar to attend to a defect, and was hit by an oncoming train. 

He wrote – “However, strangely, in recent months I came across a memorial to Joe in the Enterprise waiting room in Amiens St which I think is of recent origin. From memory I think the inscription says that he died at Lurgan - open to correction here - in the service of the company. This would tie in with the Enterprise aspect you were told about. One thing is clear - he was killed whilst on duty.  

So whilst I can't confirm where he died, the basic story you related is true”.

So, Mr G, you’ll have to pay a visit to Connolly (or Amiens Street as it was in your Grandfather’s day) and have a look.

OR, one of you brave lads could pop into the Enterprise waiting room and take a photo for us?

Regards

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 6
  • Informative 3

Thank you so much for that, Leslie and David. Regarding the plaque, I have a photo of that. I'll post it here when I find it. My cousin went to great lengths to get that plaque created and installed in the Enterprise waiting area as it finally meant that CIE/Irish Rail have officially recognised that he died whilst on duty. A second copy of the plaque was also created, which was presented to Joe's wife Anne (my grandmother) in August 2018. Anne passed away peacefully a mere couple of weeks after that, perhaps happy that she had finally gotten the apology she had been waiting for, for almost 53 years.

One last question, the driver in the photo above, is that Joe popping his head out the side? Neither myself nor any of my family are aware of any photos of Joe whilst driving a train.

Edited by geraghtyg
  • Like 1

No, I put the photo up to show you the sort of engine your grandfather was driving when he did 60mph in reverse - that is "tender first" - see my earlier post - such a speed was a rare exploit in steam days.

For a driver to die in service would be unusual and I would have thought it was reported in one of the railway journals of the day. I'm away from my IRRS Journals, but Irish Railfans News may have reported it - that's on line somewhere.

JHB has copies of Cuisle. Have a look Jon, please - 1965.

Edited by leslie10646

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

No, I put the photo up to show you the sort of engine your grandfather was driving when he did 60mph in reverse - that is "tender first" - see my earlier post - such a speed was a rare exploit in steam days.

For a driver to die in service would be unusual and I would have thought it was reported in one of the railway journals of the day. I'm away from my IRRS Journals, but Irish Railfans News may have reported it - that's on line somewhere.

I recently joined up to the IRRS, assuming that I could search for old journals but unless I am doing the wrong things, I don't appear to have that ability which would be a shame if it's the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Will do.

I am currently in the throes of a house move, and they're in storage but I can get at them on Saturday (tomorrow).

14 minutes ago, geraghtyg said:

I recently joined up to the IRRS, assuming that I could search for old journals but unless I am doing the wrong things, I don't appear to have that ability which would be a shame if it's the case.

As a member you can go to the society clubrooms / archives / library in Heuston station (old hoods office between the car park at the back and the river) any Tuesday night.

Among other things, you can browse the journals going back to 1946/7. PLUS other goodies.

Because of the Pox, the place is shut right now but once things ease you'll doubtless be able to get in. Personally, I've a long list of things I need to gather up!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Will do.

I am currently in the throes of a house move, and they're in storage but I can get at them on Saturday (tomorrow).

As a member you can go to the society clubrooms / archives / library in Heuston station (old hoods office between the car park at the back and the river) any Tuesday night.

Among other things, you can browse the journals going back to 1946/7. PLUS other goodies.

Because of the Pox, the place is shut right now but once things ease you'll doubtless be able to get in. Personally, I've a long list of things I need to gather up!

Thank you Jon.....you look after that house move first!!!! Have never been to IIRS site @Hueston train staion but I know the building well. When the Pox (that made me giggle!) clears up a little, I will definitely make it my business to pay a visit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Leslie my dad Patrick joe Hogan passed away in 1968 after enterprise duty.

• Like 1