Class 800 Drawings

Rate this topic

KMCE

Looking at the locomotive drawings etc in Resources prompted me to dig out the drawings I developed for the Class 800 from the original.  These were done the old way of pen and ink on the drawing board, as CAD was in it's infancy and cost more that a small house to buy, never mind the computer cost.  

I worked from the original drawing I requested from IE many moons ago.  The drawing was taped to the board, and A1 negatives created from it - there is a huge amount of information on that old drawing, so I took the layers off and made multiple drawings to clarify the detail.

I don't have access to the resources section, but perhaps it's a little early yet as I need to get these scanned / digitised with the  intention of bringing them into CAD. 

20180512_201939.thumb.jpg.25f889fad69d055c1ef30430dca7ec5d.jpg20180512_202020.thumb.jpg.4f7e12526ef4edae8c74011dc4a3dd1e.jpg20180512_202051.thumb.jpg.d73fac7551d736af4baa5cca56e1e349.jpg20180512_202126.thumb.jpg.3d35ee071c5ecdd6af1f7df48c5fca4e.jpg20180512_202155.thumb.jpg.16b8130103679f968cd28bac1bd65ba0.jpg20180512_202234.thumb.jpg.65228bf9203065c82c3df1bfe3eda405.jpg

Once they are scanned, perhaps they can be added to the resources section and will be available if anyone wants a copy.

When brought into CAD, we will have more definitive drawings to work with.

** Edit

Should have added this one as well.  It is incomplete but when put with the drawing on the smokebox it provides the detail of the inside motion and fire tubes back to the boiler.

20180512_215210.thumb.jpg.a69624277937dc961f4018b70ed57edf.jpg

Ken

Edited by KMCE
  • Like 6
  • Informative 2
  • WOW! 4

Excellent Ken

Nice bit of drawing work, I've just done the same on the 800 valve gear I'm building for a chaps 'Macha' in Gauge O. The chaps on here were very helpful in sourcing drawings...

Your full drawings of the loco will be a very helpful resource on here

Eoin

Eoin, 

Thanks for that - as mentioned, I want to get these scanned so they are flat and in proper digital format.  Once they are in digital format, they are available to anyone who wants a copy as they should be dimensionally correct.

Hopefully, I can then import them to CAD and draw them up when I have time.  

On the issue of sourcing drawing, I am looking for a few as I would like to build some ex DSER / GSR locomotives:

Class 423: 2-4-0T

Class 434:  2-4-2T

Class 850: 2-6-2T

Does anyone have a copy, or know who I can get in touch with to source a copy?

All assistance gratefully accepted. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 12/5/2018 at 8:47 PM, KMCE said:

Looking at the locomotive drawings etc in Resources prompted me to dig out the drawings I developed for the Class 800 from the original. .....

Once they are scanned, perhaps they can be added to the resources section and will be available if anyone wants a copy.....

Did your drawings ever get scanned in the end? I'm about to take delivery of the SSM "800" class, and did wonder if your drawings set had become available....

48 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

Did your drawings ever get scanned in the end? I'm about to take delivery of the SSM "800" class, and did wonder if your drawings set had become available....

@Horsetan

Ken is away at the moment, I believe he was in touch with the IRRS drawing chaps who were preparing a booklet of drawings for the 800 at that time, but unfortunately that has been on hold for a few years now! I believe Ken was waiting for this booklet or some preliminary scans of the general arrangement drawings as he was going to contribute to the final booklet.

I spoke with the IRRS drawing man last summer about the 800 booklet but alas there is no movement, as he is based in the UK and gets little opportunity to visit the drawings here and complete the current/previous works- he does hope to get back at it sometime, he is also aware that we few are interested in the 800 drawing publication.....

When Ken returns he should be able to respond on progress of his drawings.

Eoin.

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 20/7/2022 at 11:41 PM, murrayec said:

.....When Ken returns he should be able to respond on progress of his drawings....

Grand. The SSM kit arrived a couple of days ago, so am looking at the feasibility of working inside motion. Ken's drawings with measurements would be a massive help. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

Grand. The SSM kit arrived a couple of days ago, so am looking at the feasibility of working inside motion. Ken's drawings with measurements would be a massive help. 

While you're at it you should buy the 3D printed smokebox doors Ken made for me a while ago.

Have them fitted to Maedbh and Macha

20220723_143114.thumb.jpg.ff709d52a7dcd7e4d93f86f7e9d63582.jpg

• Like 4
  • WOW! 2

On 23/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, GSR 800 said:

While you're at it you should buy the 3D printed smokebox doors Ken made for me a while ago.

I'll make a note.

It's really Maedb's valve gear that fascinates me. It's Walschaerts' but with quite a few extra links thrown in, and only some of those are for the lubricator drive.

47 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

I'll make a note.

It's really Maedb's valve gear that fascinates me. It's Walschaerts' but with quite a few extra links thrown in, and only some of those are for the lubricator drive.

the extra rods are a pain in the arse from my own experience, but I'm far from a master at that end of things.

having mine motorised across the sea, might as well since the cost of buying motors and sending them across isn't worth it to me!

• Like 1