Metcalfe Card Sheets

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

I'm working on the Goods Yard building at the moment, forming the shell in 3mm birch ply and cutting all the arches and windows with a powerful little variable speed fret saw. I was planning on finishing it in Wills Scenic sheet but wondered if the Matcalfe building card is worth considering. 

Has anyone used it before, whats your experience?

3 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

I'm working on the Goods Yard building at the moment, forming the shell in 3mm birch ply and cutting all the arches and windows with a powerful little variable speed fret saw. I was planning on finishing it in Wills Scenic sheet but wondered if the Matcalfe building card is worth considering. 

Has anyone used it before, whats your experience?

Metcalfe building cards are fine (I used them in 2mm for my Llangollen layout) but if you want relief then the Wills sheets look good in 4mm (I have used them on my 2mm Llanuwchllyn layout). Wills are thick plastic sheets which are more difficult to cut then Metcalfe which can be cut with a scissors.

DSCF0860.thumb.JPG.dc9323ff3bcf4e9993d757ecad2239bc.JPGDSCF1945.thumb.JPG.fddd7e5934df3d0ae64a58ae3e18d6c3.JPG

On 5/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, GNRi1959 said:

Thanks Gerry.

The Wills sheet is very authentic however the smaller pieces are difficult to join and a bugger to cut, especially windows and arches. I might just buy a sample of the Metcalfe sheets to see what they are like.

Just be aware also that card structures should not be exposed to prolonged sunlight as they can fade over time. I keep the blinds down when the sun is shining into my model railway room. Many of my buildings on Ballybeg are of card construction and still look good after 10 years!

DSCF1342.thumb.JPG.05610eec69ca4fa9a2cdf8ae00a72c7c.JPG

• Like 1

There is a school of thought that even in 7mm scale, any surface relief for brickwork is actually negligible, so printed card is all anyone needs. In 4mm, that would be even more appropriate. 

However, it is also arguable that emphasising certain aspects, such as brick and stonework helps create a better impression.

The middle paths are either scribed Das clay (tedious, but very effective in 7mm), or something like the Howard Scenics embossed brickwork that Freestone Models sells. Can be coloured fairly easily with pastels or water colour crayons. Being a thick paper, you can easily get the mortar lines round corners too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I visited the Station Centre in town where a model of mine is on permanent display now over 20years and the Superquick building papers are still very much in an acceptable standard. My Shed is buried in the shade of trees at the bottom of the garden so direct sunlight is minimal.

Edited by GNRi1959