Weedspraying Train - South wexford Line

Rate this topic

Junctionmad

33 minutes ago, Junctionmad said:

Next Wednesday , at 9am The weedsprayer will leave Rosslare strand for Waterford .  This has been indicated to be the last train movement to be seen on the Rosslare Strand to Waterford line,  

I suppose the line is being made ready for conversion to another Greenway?

Well its a reflection of economic progress, thankfully we are no longer a poor country and most of our citizens can afford to travel by their own means on roads and motorways. Back in the distant past many folk especially in rural areas could only afford public transport and either a bicycle or a horse/donkey.  A greenway seems the best way of preserving an amenity and the railway heritage, and at least it puts the line space back into use as a significant tourism amenity boosting local economies.  The Westport to Achill greenway on its own has transformed the economy of that entire region, and the Waterford to Dungarvan similarly in time.  

Having Dungarvan connected as a greenway on former railway lines all the way to Rosslare seems the best alternative to just closing the lines and letting them disappear into decay. We would all prefer to see trains operating but progress and economic reality dictates otherwise.  For anybody who has not yet had a chance to cycle the Westport/Achill or Dungarvan/Waterford Greenways I would highly recommend both. Stunning scenery, fabulous hospitality and one of the best 'chill outs' you'll ever enjoy. These greenways are family oriented and walker friendly too. Sad to see any line close but at least the end game seems positive.

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

I guess no appetite for a community line project as in UK with AcORP ,   https://communityrail.org.uk/ .  Or does some legal issue stop it.  As Noel says ensuring route is preserved then the  chance of reopening is made easier, if not made cheaper.  

Robert  

Its difficult to see a successful community rail movement getting off the ground in Ireland, government decision making is much more centralised than in the UK with decisions on funding for public infrastructure and services made at Central Government level in Dublin rather than at Regional or Local authority level.

Since the 1970s Councils and Regional Authorities in the UK have subsidised/funded local/regional rail services and had 1st refusal on buying redundant railway lines from BR & Network Rail.  

Funding of public transport in Ireland is considered to be a central government matter for the Department of Transport administered through the National Transport Authority (NTA) which is basically mode neutral, the NTA  considered closing the Dublin-Wexford-Rosslare line south of Gorey and other lines in a 2016 review of value for money for its funding of IEs rail services

Although CIE & IE have an obligation to make a profit on its operations, CIE has retained ownership of the right of way of the majority of railway lines closed/abandoned since the mid 70s and there appears to be a growing movement to convert abandoned lines to Greenways under local authority management such as the Limerick portion of the North Kerry and Waterford-Ballinacourty line.

IE  came to an agreement with the NZTA to put the South Wexford on a care and maintenance basis until major re-sleepering would be required between 5-10 years after regular p.w. maintenance ceased, which is basically similar to what happened when the Burma Road, North Kerry and the majority of lines closed since the mid 1970s. This seasons weed spray is likely to be the last unless the NTA or Wexford, Kilkenny and Waterford County  Councils provide funding for a track maintenance/re-sleepering programme.

Its unclear whether the NTA provides funding to IE to cover the financial and legal liabilities arising from maintaining the South Wexford or other non-operational railway lines or Government have considered transferring responsibiliy from CIE to the Councils or Community as in the UK.

Edited by Mayner
  • Informative 1

No Railtour on the Horizon to wake the end of the line at all?

"Well its a reflection of economic progress, thankfully we are no longer a poor country and most of our citizens can afford to travel by their own means on roads and motorways" 

For how long??, Nearly 70 notes to tank up the focus this weather. Mind you probably wont be able to afford a ticket on Irish Rail either. Looks Like I have to Oil the bike chain...:/

26 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

"Well its a reflection of economic progress, thankfully we are no longer a poor country and most of our citizens can afford to travel by their own means on roads and motorways" 

For how long??, Nearly 70 notes to tank up the focus this weather. Mind you probably wont be able to afford a ticket on Irish Rail either. Looks Like I have to Oil the bike chain...:/

This exactly, 

This time last year a full tank from empty was €50 and in the past few weeks it's knocking on €70. Starting to consider public transport again to get to work capped at €40 a week. Costing me around €90 a week with toll tag to and from work.

There's alot of inflation but wages are not matching it. Cost of living for me gone up drastically this year, find myself having to cut back more and more.

• Like 2