Modelling Stone Wall

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

I thought this was an excellent demo and well worth considering. I have a large Goods Store to cover and wasn't looking forward to trying to do it with Wills Scenic Sheets. This is probably a better way of doing it, considering the Wills sheets need painting anyway.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/209-representing-cornish-stonework-in-4mm-scale/page-2 Some useful material on modelling stone buildings in 4mm scale. Scribed modelling clay has been a reasonably popular technique at least since the early 1970s. While it involves a lot of patience and determination its feasible to accurately model the random coursed stonework commonly used to build retaining walls, goods and loco sheds by scribing the stonework on plasticard or in clay. Neither the Wills Sheets or Slaters Embossed stonework come close to the random coursed masonry used by the Irish railway companies to build major structures and buildings.

John, I actually used the Metcalfe Semi-cut stone sheets on the Goods Yard store and I am really impressed with it. I applied it with 1-1 diluted woodworking glue and turned the sheets inwards around the arch openings. I then applied stonework to the rear sides also that are open and visible. I thought it saved all the hassle. I just need to find a similar product for the corrugated roof and roof lights - may need to kit bash to get it right.

Heres an example of the progress so far, now these sections are free standing, nothing is fixed together yet.

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 3

There is a school of thought that says in smaller scales, well printed papers work just as well as scribed or embossed finishes, especially from normal viewing distances of 60-90cms.

What does stand out with Metcalf's parts is the corner joint. Easily covered with individually cut pieces of card and folded round the corners.

David, I really do like the look at feel of the Metcalfe papers and card. I think they could have put a bit more thought into the design of the corner quoins. When my sections are glued together I don't think they will be as obvious and if I have to I can 'tone down' the white paper seam that is always a give away. As I said in an earlier post, the parts are sitting loosely. When the Goods Yard is populated with wagons, people and all the other things that bring a Goods Yard alive, I won't be worried too much about the actual building. Thanks for your comments.

Edited by GNRi1959