Lima/Bachmann Irish Rail Class 201

Rate this topic

Gerard16

Good Evening to all

I recently bought a couple of these models and I was given a shell of these models as well. I am wondering whether anybody can tell me if there is a suitable chassis with motor that I could buy so that I can use this locomotive , preferably without modification

A search of Yahoo/Google seems to indicate that a Hornby Class 66 chassis would fit but I cannot be definite.

Any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards to all

Gerard16

Hi 

Well I was wondering about remotoring a lima 201 and bought a hornby 59 -latest version , it was an EWS one for £40.

The bogies  and sideframes less steps match and even the chassis weight holder unit is identical - the 59 does have a pcb for DCC use It is almost right length being just a few mm to long.  The problem is the 59 tanks and side of the mainframes differ from the 201 and the 66 differs again and is longer . I am sure if you have the lima 201 then you could cut and copy bits to match.  - 

I am going to   cut out parts of a the lima 59 to swap for the hornby 59 and if I get a working camera or friend to take some pics I will up load on the forum.

Robert   

• 5 months later...

Well to update the rash comments of above. I conclude that there are too many differences.

Bogie sideframes, - sand pots and overall length prevent a swap between chassis

bogie wheelbases differ - I suspect the 59 is better than the 201 - which has equidistant axles on the Lima model.- might well be based on an HO power bogie as it is shorter   

Power bogies and trailing bogie mounts differ preventing a easy 59 - 201 swap 

Overall length of 59 to 201  8mm longer  prevents a quick chassis swap 

Underframe details differ too much from 201 to 59 - albeit the 59 tank looks much better than Lima one.     

Where there is a good match is body fixings 4 of the 59 and 201 match. In principle working features for cablights and weights match . 

The main win is the PCB 8 pin mount on the updated 59 model with can motor, not really a win for the lima pancake motor. - you would hardwire a 4 function chip anyway - the 59 chassis has two lamps  for the double headlamp and no tail lamps.

If there was not the later MM version then with a bit of surgery then this would give a better motored version of the simplified   body. Messing around scraps a serviceable 59 for not a lot of benefit . The 201 I have infornt of me is one of several  available and i runs as well as can be expected - albeit with pizza wheels ! - Even a wheel swap not possible of how motor bogie works.    

So the idea is stillborn - anybody want a 59206 in DB traffic red? 

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

bogie wheelbases differ - I suspect the 59 is better than the 201 - which has equidistant axles on the Lima model.- might well be based on an HO power bogie as it is shorter   

The 201 I have infornt of me is one of several  available and i runs as well as can be expected - albeit with pizza wheels ! - Even a wheel swap not possible of how motor bogie works.    

The Lima 201 bogies are 48mm wheelbase compared with the MM 201, which are 49mm. The centre axlebox on the Lima is off centre towards the front as it should be, but the motor unit centre axle is central, and does not line up exactly with the axlebox, but it is not too noticable. However, on the assumption that the MM bogie is the correct length, the 1mm discrepancy between the two makes is not worth worrying about.

A wheel swop on the Lima 201 is perfectly feasible. I once had a large fleet of Lima BR locos, all of which had had their 'Pizza Cutter' wheels replaced with Romford wheels. Extra pickups were fitted to all wheels, and extra weight added to compensate for lack of traction tyres. With one or two exceptions, all my Lima BR locos have since been rechassised with either Bachmann or ViTrains chassis 

Hi Thanks for that - one thing I could not find on a quick internet search last night was a drawing of a 201 to compare and my MM201 is over 100 miles away !  So thanks for comments on  my work.   I too have remotored and wheeled a Lima 47145 with a vi trains chassis and added lazer glazing.  

My initial premise had been the family likeness of the 59 and 201 in real and model form would give a cheap quick upgrade without having to reach for a saw and the like, but not to be. 

Yes a simple wheel change will upgrade.  I recall an article about resuing Lima gear bonded to Romford wheelset - something else for the next rainy night ! 

thanks

Robert     

• 1 year later...

I have one or two Lima 201's, and they sound like a bag of spanners going around.

Seriously, I'm afraid to run them in case the neighbours complain.

What different options can members suggest for quieter running?

Has anybody found a motor that swaps in with little to no fuss.

I'm a hammer more than a scalpel, so, you know, anything finicky and it's goodbye to the project...

• Funny 2

Well see my comments above !   I did toy with idea of a power bogie in a pushpull driver coach but this did not get over the pizza wheels .    

Some white grease might help with gear noise rather than oil  and I guess fitting a sound chip and speaker !  

I have had some lima locos that when well run in are very good so if these models been in store and you use code 100 track then perhaps a really good running in session required.  I suggest if you use code 75 or the fine BH track now available you have some good kit for a depot scene.

Amazing it was 2018 I had put finger to keyboard - time flies - has anybody got any spare ..

Robert 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I have one or two Lima 201's, and they sound like a bag of spanners going around.

I'm a hammer more than a scalpel, so, you know, anything finicky and it's goodbye to the project...

If I remember correctly somebody on the forum about 6 years ago did a technical post on replacing the motor with a CD drive motor (ie the motor that opens the CD cradle slider). If you think the 201s are noisy the Lima 215 'A' classes (ie BR Class 33) sounded like a Ford 4600 tractor on speed.

Turn the sound up for Lima authentic self sounding model. :) 

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Noel said:

If I remember correctly somebody on the forum about 6 years ago did a technical post on replacing the motor with a CD drive motor (ie the motor that opens the CD cradle slider).

I suppose I could always make sure to run an EGV right behind the Lima 201.....

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

Well see my comments above !   I did toy with idea of a power bogie in a pushpull driver coach but this did not get over the pizza wheels .    

Some white grease might help with gear noise rather than oil  and I guess fitting a sound chip and speaker ! 

So re-wheeling and white-greasing will help to some extent!

4 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

A Bachmann Class 66 chassis may fit, quieter more reliable running

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313&_nkw=bachmann+ews+class+66+&_sacat=122604

• Like 1

I have Lima 201 Shannon somwhere that I haven't run in years for the same reason. Might be nearly as cheap and easier to buy a 201 (if there are any left) than mount the shell on a completely new chassis (which would of course run much better) unless you had done some mods to the models that you'd prefer to keep.

I though the CD motor had been used to re-engine a 125HST but it did run very well if the intention is to keep your model as a Lima 201 class. I think it was on Graham's Workbench. In the meantime from Dhu Varren

EDIT: Found it but the link to the original instruction may be broken/deleted

Another EDIT:

IN which case this may help

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=42689

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

After a failed regauging to 21mm gauge of a Lima 201 I was left with a bodyshell. I used a Bachmann class 66 chassis, which is a very good match and runs superb, and is easy to regauge to 21mm. The class 66 was a swap meet buy and I was able to sell the loco body on Ebay. I may at a future date make the lighting work. The pics tell the story.

IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

• Like 2

Hi all,  I have one of these Lima 201s myself plus  a few Lima coaches resprayed into gen vans, so can the pizza cutter wheels be changed to something like the rp25 I think that what they are called or must they stay as they are. Sorry if this has been answered already or sounds a silly question, thanks

john

John-r--I have turned down the Lima pizza cutter wheels on HO scale Italian wagons and railcars. The wheels are made of an easy to turn metal (brass?). Just don't try it with Jouef wheels, they really are rubbish. I use a minidrill and some files (and eye protection of course) to turn the wheels down and make the flange more shallow.

DiveController--A pic of the 21mm gauge bogie on the 201 class. I used the existing wheels and gears. for the axles I used spare Romford/Maygib axles with the pin point ends filed down. 2mm steel rod would do the job as well. I recall the gear was pressfit onto the axle and I used a toothpick to apply a bit of superglue to hold it more firmly in place.

There is plenty of room between the bogie sides and I moved the dampers out by twisting them slightly as they fouled the wider gauge wheels.  The Murphys 141 and 071 classes have similar design bogies and can be regauged this way as well.

IMG_3443.JPG

• Like 6