IRM Fert Wagon

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Well that looks ideal for someone with a "fertile" imagination. I like the pallet inserts will these be  "plug and play" user changeable inserts for empty flows and or available on their own for lineside details.

Looking forward to pricing and ordering info - have to save  and eat less 

Thanks IRM!

Robert 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

This CAD also made its debut tonight at the SDMRC event. We will have more details about preordering and price in the coming weeks! :)

1857178590_image(13).thumb.png.9b6cbe21397e6dfd3a8844045294b439.png

Love model. I have been looking forward to this above all else so far. Iconic and superb detail! True to your word. Thanks for posting Fran! @Warbonnet

2 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Well that looks ideal for someone with a "fertile" imagination. I like the pallet inserts will these be  "plug and play" user changeable inserts for empty flows and or available on their own for lineside details

I had the same thought as soon as I saw the CAD or read your post. Would be great to have that extra details for lineneside loads, like the containers, instead of putting the loads aside.

2 hours ago, warb said:

Just wondering was the full compartements only over the bogies and half full in the rest of the compartements because of weight?

This is an interesting question following on the comment on another thread that the Taras were only ever half full so as not to exceed the  IR axle weight. One presumes they were built sturdily enough to take loads in the center. The density of zinc ore and bagged (Portland) cement are not dissimilar (between 3.1 and 3.4 kg/cu meter, ore being slightly more dense but only half that of the purified metal). Perhaps the Taras were a little wider or the wagon itself more heavily built because of the raw ore rather than bagged and shaped cement powder?

Edited by DiveController

3025809_e2879e31.jpg

8-12 I think was the norm.

From the IRRS Journal, 2002

" On Wednesday 19 December, 230 + 12 bogies of fertiliser arrived in Portlaoise at 10.15. The next day saw 10 laden fertiliser wagons in Adelaide yard in Belfast. On Thursday 20 December, 10 empty fertiliser bogies were worked to Shelton Abbey, (Arklow) to be loaded for Belfast. Fifty-four empty bogie-fertiliser wagons were observed in North Wall in early December."

This photo on my flickr site I took at North Wall bears out the only one pallet in the centre 2 bays.

I also video'd various mixed Liners with around 4 ferts in the consists

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5739848398/in/album-72157626638886303/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5739849932/in/album-72157626638886303/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5768010571/in/album-72157626825629406/

ERnie

or even just 1!

e Limerick Junc 203 Down Liner Nov02 a787.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

Wow these will be special judging from the CAD. There is a lot of detail in these wagons and there must have been a lot of head scratching and late nights at the designing stage.  As seems to be the norm the let's make this one the new benchmark will succeed.

Rich

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Railer said:

I know I sound like a broken record at this stage but....

Will there be buffer options with this model featuring the old large diameter round profiles too?

Agree if feasible that would be a nice option, but not a deal breaker.  I have big old round buffers on this 3D print and they look beefy. :) 

IMG_6090.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warbonnet said:

We're looking into the feasibility of the big round buffers at the moment, but may put the cost up overall. Ongoing....

Can they not be implemented like the buffer options on the HUOs, or is it a case of not enough demand to go down that road?

It's just that they feature on the 42 flats overall and I'm sure others will ask for it too, if not now but in the future near release.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Railer said:

Can they not be implemented like the buffer options on the HUOs, or is it a case of not enough demand to go down that road?

It's just that they feature on the 42 flats overall and I'm sure others will ask for it too, if not now but in the future near release.

The issue with that is that we will make a lot more HUOs than 42ft flats that will use these buffers and bogies. As we are doing later iterations of the flat for the spoils, weedsprayer and guinness kegs for example it narrows the focus of these buffers to some liner flats and some ferts and the ridemaster bogies to some flats only, especially as we already have the buffers and bogies tooled as part of the Tara wagon which was built into this overall plan (the flats were always going to be a follow on from the Tara as we first planned it) As I have said it is being considered, but we dont know if the sums add up just yet. It will also delay the project as they will need to be designed and measured. We also see that the demand for supertrain era stock, which these buffers and bogies would fall into, is less than later era, so we have to ask ourselves; "will they sell?". This is down to the experience of what we have sold so far, and our previous customer survey. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2018 at 8:14 AM, mfjoc said:

I seem to remember that the two middle bays had a wooden cross member fitted across to stop anyone loading a second level of pallets in those bays.

This is correct and will be present on the model we're happy to say. We have a photo of the beam which helps!

Also, we are looking to do the loads as a separate lineside accessory as per the 20ft CIE container. Good for yards and backs of lorries etc. :) 

• Like 4
  • WOW! 1

21 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

This is correct and will be present on the model we're happy to say. We have a photo of the beam which helps!

Also, we are looking to do the loads as a separate lineside accessory as per the 20ft CIE container. Good for yards and backs of lorries etc. :) 

It just gets better and better..... =D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Right, Gentlemen

When you first announced your fertiliser wagon, I said that I would have to buy some as all have the running numbers as the Merchant Navies in BR days.

So, how about commemorating my 90mph Merchants when you choose numbers? And a couple of near-misses?

They were:

35003 Royal Mail Line did 84 at Weybridge 7 May 1967.

35008  Orient Line did 90 at Farnborough  and again at Pirbright Jct  on 29 March 1967 – 20 miles at an average of 83mph.

35013  Blue Funnel Line did 86 approaching Brookwood on 23 March 1967, but then did 95 at Fleet 28 May 1967

35023 Holland Afrika Line did 87 at Andover 9 April 1967, but then managed 94 at Fleet 25 May 1967

35028 Clan Line  did 97 at Winchfield  25 March 1967, 90 near Fleet 29 April 1967, and a sustained 93 at Fleet 26 May 1967

35023  was at it again with 94 at Fleet on the late evening of 25 May 1967.  The next day, 35028 did  93 at Winchfield, then that afternoon 34034 Honiton did 90 before Basingstoke and 97 at Winchester Jct  – she was TWENTY minutes early at Winchester – my fastest ever steam run. That wasn’t the end of the fastest 24 Steam hours of my life, as 34001 Exeter did 95 at Brookwood on the last arrival from Weymouth that evening – but the Lightweight Pacifics have the WRONG number series for the present wagons! Oh well…...

35023 rounded off my Southern speeding by doing 94 at Winchester Jct on 8 July 1967 – my last run with a Merchant Navy on the Southern – I didn’t do 90mph again by steam for twenty years until the East German Pacific 18.201 did the full 100mph for 400 metres on a run between Gloggnitz and Vienna.

So there you are, boys – surely a good case to include 35003 (maybe); 35008; 35013, 35023 and you MUST do 35028!.

Now they would make a nice five car rake?

Over to you!  PLEASE!

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1

On 7/12/2018 at 4:47 AM, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

480296845_image(15).thumb.png.2169e092d47c9383151a271b736cba6f.png

Here's a look at the Fert with the centre beams. @Glenderg has done a stunning job on this, along with all the other project 42 bits! 

We will have news on the Ferts such as liveries, running numbers and price very soon, and will throw open the order books. :)

Cheers,

Fran

That’s really very very nice, Richie, as it’s hard to appreciate those center beams on many of the photographs. Richie, I know you have an affinity for some of the rarer and esoteric items that ran on Irish rails, so many of us who are modeling an earlier period are hoping to be included with options e.g. buffers as mentioned earlier@Glenderg. Also earlier liveries/styles which didn’t happen (maybe won’t?) with the plough vans and orange bubbles (but at least we can renunber beyond the six individual numbers supplied) @Warbonnet

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

480296845_image(15).thumb.png.2169e092d47c9383151a271b736cba6f.png

Here's a look at the Fert with the centre beams. @Glenderg has done a stunning job on this, along with all the other project 42 bits! 

We will have news on the Ferts such as liveries, running numbers and price very soon, and will throw open the order books. :)

Cheers,

Fran

I've probably said it before but the bar just seems to get pushed that little higher with each release. The detail on this is just stunning. The Fert was always one of my favourite wagons but I never thought id see the day when such a high quality RTR model would be available to buy. Really looking forward to these. Top class lads and credit as always to all involved :tumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Model Railway manufacturing and design never sleeps! 

Dedication Fran, a dedication to be the best and produce the best. It's great as modeller to be there from the start. There's so much more to come in the future also.

Rich,

17 hours ago, DiveController said:

Also earlier liveries/styles which didn’t happen (maybe won’t?) with the plough vans and orange bubbles (but at least we can renunber beyond the six individual numbers supplied) @Warbonnet

Hi Kevin,

Earlier liveries or styles than the orange bubbles? Sorry, not sure what you mean by that.

Cheers,

Fran

Hi Fran,

Sorry that wasn’t clearly scripted. I meant that the ploughs didn’t come in CIE style/livery and the orange bubbles cane after the ivory and with only six individual numbers, bauxite Tara’s and more recent version of the Ferts wound seem to indicate a preference for IRM models to be more contemporary. than some modelers🤔 K

• Thanks 1