dcc voltage too high for 12v motor?

Rate this question

controller

Question

Hi, I am trying to fix up a Hornby 0-6-0 shunter diesel 08201. I am fitting lights and a new motor. The motor which I believe I need is a type M motor,( I see a few on ebay) which I see is 12v. My question is, will DCC 14v burn out this motor. The decoder I am hoping to use is a Gaugemaster DCC27 four function. I have already destroyed one motor already.  Will this happen every time, or do I need a different type of decoder?. 

Thanks,

Controller.

4 answers to this question

Hi Controller,

No, there shouldn't be any issue with that. People have been hard wiring older locos for years without issue. The only thing to watch out for is to make sure the old loco is running freely and smoothly on DC before fitting the decoder. If the old loco is running badly then there is a chance it could fry the decoder. DCC is AC so the effective voltage is less than 14V. Additionally, the output that the motor receives is almost certain to be 12V or less

Hi Dave, 

I think you may be right about the loco not running freely. My last effort saw the loco stuttering all the time, so this may account for the blown decoder. The next time I will make sure that it runs ok on DC before I chance a decoder. Thanks for the advice on voltage. 

Thanks,

Controller.