World Cup

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

25 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Its coming home people 

Ah now I wouldn't begrudge our neighbours and ethnic cousins a little bit of excitement and joy. :) Amongst other sports they invented rugby, tennis, cricket and soccer yet have suffered decades of defeats in all by superior former colonial teams, so good luck to them.  Fed up hearing about 1966 too :)  Remind me who is ranked no 2 in the world for Rugby and who won the grand slam this year at the 'home of rugby' :)

Always amazes me when the inevitable finally happens how the english media change their tune. 2 weeks ago Sky Sports were more or less saying they were world beaters and had this sewn up, and this was still at the group stages. Within an hour of them going out last night they were a young side that had overachieved and nobody had expected them to get this far. Always gives me a good laugh, roll on the euros:) 

***UNBELIEVEABLE! PLEASE READ!***

FIFA officials have noticed that Croatia have been using a player that was yellow carded two games ago. He should have missed the last two games. Therefore, FIFA officials could disqualify Croatia from the World cup, meaning England could potentially qualify for the final and be on their way to the final! 
This news is official and can be checked on the BBC website. It was brought to the attention of the chairman of FIFA only 25 minutes ago. Go and check!...

Carlsberg don't do statuses for the emotionally imbalanced, delusional dreamers that think they can win everything, but if they did, this would be the best status of the world cup 2018....

• Funny 1

51 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

***UNBELIEVEABLE! PLEASE READ!***

FIFA officials have noticed that Croatia have been using a player that was yellow carded two games ago. He should have missed the last two games. Therefore, FIFA officials could disqualify Croatia from the World cup, meaning England could potentially qualify for the final and be on their way to the final! 
This news is official and can be checked on the BBC website. It was brought to the attention of the chairman of FIFA only 25 minutes ago. Go and check!...

Carlsberg don't do statuses for the emotionally imbalanced, delusional dreamers that think they can win everything, but if they did, this would be the best status of the world cup 2018....

Nice try :) 

6 hours ago, jason brady said:

Always amazes me when the inevitable finally happens how the english media change their tune. 2 weeks ago Sky Sports were more or less saying they were world beaters and had this sewn up, and this was still at the group stages. Within an hour of them going out last night they were a young side that had overachieved and nobody had expected them to get this far. Always gives me a good laugh, roll on the euros:) 

The media understand their audience very well. Audience figures are their goals and they will do what is necessary to inflate those. When people stop being useful to that end, they will drop them and start a new campaign - tennis, motor racing, whatever is available and fits in with their targets at the time.

And the audiences will generally go along with it.

9 hours ago, jason brady said:

Points to what we did in 2012

4 hours ago, GSR 800 said:

Points to what we did in 2012

Yeah, it's "remember 1966" all over again!

"It's coming home".....!  You could understand this if England had won it 17 times. You could understand that sort of sentiment from Kerry in the Gaelic football, having won the All-Ireland 37 times, or almost a quarter of all the times it's ever been won.

But - England won the World Cup.............just ONCE!

8 hours ago, Broithe said:

The media understand their audience very well. Audience figures are their goals and they will do what is necessary to inflate those. When people stop being useful to that end, they will drop them and start a new campaign - tennis, motor racing, whatever is available and fits in with their targets at the time.

And the audiences will generally go along with it.

Agree totally, but they insist on being sucked in as each tournament comes around and never seem to learn. It was strangely quiet building up to this world cup, then with a few of the favourites tipped to win it noticeably struggling in the group stages the hype machine kicked into gear as it always does, same story, same result....

Glad to see the interest in the Neighbour's footie team.

Regardless of the usual drivel in the media, this was a young pretty inexperienced team who DID get a lot further than  most of their most passionate supporters could have hoped. The pity of it is, as fame, money (booze, women) get a hold of them over the next few years they are unlikely ever to do as well again. 

So indeed, cry - "God for Harry, England and St George".

As for Irish Rugby - just think of the team we'd put out if footie was also an all-Ireland business?

One advantage of being a very old man is that I DID see the 1958 NI side, I DID see Georgey-boy play for both United and NI.

Happy Days

PS I've got a wager (an Italian-dinner's worth) on with the Lady in my life that Croatia will beat France and I hate top say it but I expect Belgium to beat England  - that all depends on what teams Gareth and Roberto (the two most decent managers in football?) put out, of course.