Sign in to follow this  
GNRi1959

Curved Goods Store?

Rate this question

Question

The Goods Store in Omagh was huge, measure well over 700mm in scale length. I would rather not start shortening it and narrowing it but I have considered the possibility of modelling it on a curve. Would it look awful?

7 answers to this question

Station buildings and loco sheds could often be found on curves, e.g. Enniskillen, Drogheda and Cork. I have to say that I'm unaware of any goods sheds built curved - probably because by their very nature, a good bit of area round them was required for loading and unloading goods, and perhaps manoeuvring odd shaped large loads.

34 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Have never seen a curved one anywhere. Maybe with some visual trickery you could get away with making a smaller straight one that fits?

Exactly, I've reduced a lot of the length but it is still visually appealing, thanks 

Try a mock up and see how you feel about it. The tightness of the curve will have a big part to play, as will anything that can distract the eye from the curve.

Stephen

Given that passenger buildings, like Cork, are sometimes on curves, it mightn't look out of place even though I'm unaware of anything prototypical. As long as it "looks right", it's your gig!   🙂