Sudden Atlas rolling stock and locomotive factory closure.

Rate this topic

Mayner

Picked this up on RM Web sudden Chinese factory closure affecting supply of Atlas locos and rolling stock https://shop.atlasrr.com/b-atlas-rolling-stock-and-locomotive-factory-closure.aspx combined with rumours on US news groups of Hornby shifting production to Hungary. Apparently Intermountain and Trainworx also affected

Apparently the factory closed as a result of the owners ill health .

1 minute ago, Mayner said:

Picked this up on RM Web sudden Chinese factory closure affecting supply of Atlas locos and rolling stock https://shop.atlasrr.com/b-atlas-rolling-stock-and-locomotive-factory-closure.aspx combined with rumours on US news groups of Hornby shifting production to Hungary. Apparently Intermountain and Trainworx also affected

Apparently the factory closed as a result of the owners ill health .

I believe the Hornby to Hungary rumour is nonsense. Intermountain has sadly been affected too.

And before anyone asks; we’re fine! 🙂 But we hope those affected get sorted really soon.

cheers,

Fran.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this, John. I don't buy Atlas, but the Hornby / Hungary  reference sent me looking to see just where LGB is made, having recently started a garden railway. LGB as well as using China uses a factory in Gyor, Hungary - iffy reports of the work of both places. I'll be careful what I buy on eBay from now on!   I think most of my stuff is German, pre-2006.

Amazing the info you pick up on this Irish site!

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

LGB as well as using China uses a factory in Gyor, Hungary - iffy reports of the work of both places. I'll be careful what I buy on eBay from now on!   I think most of my stuff is German, pre-2006.

Amazing the info you pick up on this Irish site!

I bought a Chinese assembled LGB Forney (American 0-4-4T) about 10 years ago, the most trouble free and reliable loco on my large scale roster 😊. The main difference seems to be that the Chinese assembled locos had nylon rather than metal valve gear.

Funnily enough I had problems with achieving reliable running with the smaller German built  LGB locos I bought second hand on e-Bay. The chrome plated wheel tyres on two locos were pitted/spark eroded from running on  track power. This only appears to happen to the plain tyre on the wheel set with traction tyres.