Sign in to follow this  
jhb171achill

Small production run of MGWR 6 wheel thirds

Hi folks

I've been speaking with Allen Doherty of Worsley Works to enquire whether it is feasible to do a small run of this most essential 1950s CIE coach. The answer, of course, is yes - depending on numbers. There need to a minimum of only eight to allow him to break even. I want two, so that's only six left.

I wonder would anyone here be interesting in committing to ordering a few, and letting Allen know? As stated, I'd take two, maybe three.

I don't know what the price would be, but his kits are very reasonable indeed.

If successful, the brake third which was so common would be another possibility.

I will take two and the brake third would be nice too.

OK, folks, it's viable!

I'll get onto Worsley and post details of progress here.

If anyone else wants them, as long as they're in amounts of four (that's my understanding) they can be done too. Or contact Worsley directly yourself.

Regarding the brake 3rd, I'd take one; Popeye is a second - anyone for six more?

Posted (edited)

I might also be interested in a short rake of these but what exactly is being offered? Worsley typically does scratch building aids, not complete brass kits like JM Designs or SSM. Perhaps an estimate for what ever is being proposed would be helpful? This must be possible in order to estimate a minimum quantity to break even? A photo @jhb171achill might stimulate some further interest making pricing even better?

Thanks

K

Edited by DiveController

If they are complete kits I'd take two and a brake.

The Worsley Works kits basically include underframe (floor, solebars, bufferbeams), sides and end etches with the builder to provide wheels, bogies, roof, detail castings, partitions, seating. I understand that the GSWR 6 wheeler kits include a roof and a basic Clermiston underframe (axleguards with a pivot arrangement to go round curves).

Roof and tumbledown curves have to be formed as the parts are supplied flat, solder assembly is necessary as there is no provision for glue together slot and tab assembly.

On the plus side some MGWR castings are available through Dart Castings (my patterns) no suitable spring casting is currently available for the MGWR 6w coaches.

Some MGWR coaches are on the JM Design long term wish list(I need the coaches for my own layout) including 6w 3, lavatory 2nd, brake 3rd and TPO.

9 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Some MGWR coaches are on the JM Design long term wish list(I need the coaches for my own layout) including 6w 3, lavatory 2nd, brake 3rd and TPO.

One of their distinctive side-corridor bogies, possibly?

.....Anything MGW is welcome!

I have made enquiries as to likely cost. yes - these would be standard Worsley "Srcatch-Aid" models, requiring a certain amount of work by the purchaser.

I would be interested, but like other would like a little more information if possible.

Ken

I think the best thing is look up the Worsley Works website. Have a look at their 4mm scale GSWR kits. The MGWR ones would be the same type of construction and probably a broadly similar price. 

However, when I have answers to a few of my own queries I’ll post details here.

The Worsley Works and Comet follow similar design principals. Building Coaches the Comet way gives a good idea of what's involved in assembling a coach from Worsley Works parts https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/bctcw.pdf my article on the Worsley Works website covers some of the challenges in assembling their Park Royal & Laminate coaches http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/NG/NG_NIL_Art1.htm.

A prospective buyer would need to allow another £10-20 plus per coach to cover the cost of wheels, bearings, castings, seats, door and pull handles, plasticard for partitions and floor and glazing plus couplers of choice. Wizard Models & Markits probably the best choice for OO wheels and bearings, brass wire, Dart Castings/MJT for whitemetal castings.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 10:32 PM, Mayner said:

The Worsley Works kits basically include underframe (floor, solebars, bufferbeams), sides and end etches with the builder to provide wheels, bogies, roof, detail castings, partitions, seating. I understand that the GSWR 6 wheeler kits include a roof and a basic Clermiston underframe (axleguards with a pivot arrangement to go round curves).

Roof and tumbledown curves have to be formed as the parts are supplied flat, solder assembly is necessary as there is no provision for glue together slot and tab assembly.

On the plus side some MGWR castings are available through Dart Castings (my patterns) no suitable spring casting is currently available for the MGWR 6w coaches.

Thanks John.  Unfortunately I'll have to pass then on this one as it's not a full kit. 

On 8/3/2018 at 11:19 PM, jhb171achill said:

I think the best thing is look up the Worsley Works website. Have a look at their 4mm scale GSWR kits. The MGWR ones would be the same type of construction and probably a broadly similar price. 

Thanks JB. Had a good look at that and sadly confirms it's not for me due the demanding brass skills required to do it right. Commissioning one of the few brass masters remains an option. I would not be happy attempting that myself and end up with bockety or off square results. I'll make discrete enquiries :) 

On 8/4/2018 at 12:42 AM, Mayner said:

The Worsley Works and Comet follow similar design principals. Building Coaches the Comet way gives a good idea of what's involved in assembling a coach from Worsley Works parts https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/bctcw.pdf my article on the Worsley Works website covers some of the challenges in assembling their Park Royal & Laminate coaches http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/NG/NG_NIL_Art1.htm.

A prospective buyer would need to allow another £10-20 plus per coach to cover the cost of wheels, bearings, castings, seats, door and pull handles, plasticard for partitions and floor and glazing plus couplers of choice. Wizard Models & Markits probably the best choice for OO wheels and bearings, brass wire, Dart Castings/MJT for whitemetal castings.

Thanks for info. Ok, more than a few bits'n'pieces to be correctly sourced not to mention postage to make a proper complete kit. Quite simply my airfix skills are not up to it.  :)