141/071 buffer details

Rate this topic

irishthump

While fitting the buffer details to my locos I notice with the 141’s that there are holes for 5 MU cables at each end but only 6 cables are supplied. Looking at photos of the real thing I see the number of cables varies. Anybody know the reason for this? 

Edited by irishthump

59 minutes ago, Railer said:

The real things all have 5 air hoses and one vac pipe at each end. 

Only the 121s were delivered with no air brake lines but were later retrofitted. 

Ah right. So these are air lines? Are these for loco control or air brakes?

So more will need to be added, you only get 6 per loco!

For multiple loco working all 5 air hoses are connected and the vac pipe. There is also an MU cable for loco control. For an air brake train just the red hose and one of the yellow hoses are connected to the train. The two green and other yollow hose are connected to the other loco in multiple to equalise the air brakes. 

The MM packs just give enough to detail one end plus a spare hose if you need it. 

Edited by Railer
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Raider, great info.

So were all 141’s fitted to run on trains with air brakes or was it just locos that had the A suffix after their loco number?

For instance 161sa. I believe the S was to indicate it could work with suburban signaling and the A demoted it was fitted for air brakes.

Edited by irishthump

As far as I know all 141/181 loco were air brake equipped as delivered. It's just air brake systems were never commissioned until the first air brake stock, the bogie bulk cement wagons were delivered in the late 70s.

The shale wagons were also airbraked. 

As u mentioned this all led to the SA. The S was for CAWS. It was used on the main lines as well as suburban. 071s at the time with no CAWS could not operate Mk3s on the Cork line up to the locos 90mph max until their CAWS was commissioned. It was not permitted as a safety feature because of the braking distance between some signaling blocks on line of sight was not sufficient at those speeds. 

• Like 1