MM Supertrain Mk2Ds

Rate this topic

Railer

I've ordered 3 just now to see how they are (EGV, diner and compo). From the pictures on Marks it's difficult to judge due to lighting and the fact they are in the packing but they do look like an improvement over the first batch. The black bands look straight anyway and the orange/tan look closer to what it should be.

I'm fairly sure Dave Bracken will be first up with pictures.

Edited by Railer
  • Thanks 1

Stand by troops:

5102 1st Class

437943698_5102Ist.thumb.JPG.29cc78fa0ef82f46a2b115543199ca06.JPG

5152 Comp:

2057342713_5152Comp.thumb.JPG.6487a57e2ce7604532b329947a28ce32.JPG

5202 Standard

476854955_5202std.thumb.JPG.96127d4043b8d2bea9722c6ee0af71c0.JPG

5224 Standard

1720453382_5224Std.thumb.JPG.939f30f89c6459ec58b9482d33211cc2.JPG

5402 Diner

366115644_5402Diner.thumb.JPG.c8aa37ede5498c8a9b06e972a450c597.JPG

5408 Diner

1749332259_5408Diner.thumb.JPG.fc51284c77f4c8343122c8c41ba4076f.JPG

5605 EGV

1706730722_5605EGV.thumb.JPG.9ba5b7272de03b1955fb9d06a439bae2.JPG

I have to apologise about some of the pics where you can see some underwear
There have been some burglaries in the parish and the thieves are targeting ladies underwear

Its not the loss of her drawers that is upsetting Granny Bracken, its the loss of the 10 pegs to hold each pair on the line!!!

I

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Railer said:

Just quick heads up that the new revised Supertrain Mk2Ds are now in stock at Marks.

Funny, I looked at the website today but didn’t see anything! Good to see these. Unfortunately, had to respray the last rake and committed to other purchases right now. Might pop down to Marks in Cork tomorrow to see if they have them though. Any update on the 121s, I wonder?

Thanks, was just wondering did he go with all black ends as some of them had.

Another thing that I know has been rasied on this site before. There are some people claiming as of yesterday that these are the returned stock repainted and they back this claim up by the fact there are limited numbers of each and not the usual 512 units per copy. Some close to the main man have stated on here that the old stock was destroyed and these Mk2s are of new tooling made at a new factory.

Just got my order from Marks. Only took a quick look at them as I'm in work but they do look a touch shade darker than the old. I won't be able to compare till I'm home later. The paint job is far, far better though as the pictures so far prove.

• Informative 1

43 minutes ago, Railer said:

Just got my order from Marks. Only took a quick look at them as I'm in work but they do look a touch shade darker than the old. I won't be able to compare till I'm home later. The paint job is far, far better though as the pictures so far prove.

Sounds good, especially if a touch darker shade of orange. 

After getting home and the shade of orange is no different unfortunately. The black bands are alot straighter but not perfect when viewed up close and they don't match up bang on around the ends at the gangways. The roof bowing issue at the ends is still there too. 

Yes a big improvement over the last CIE Mk2s but not what I hopped for overall. Especially seeing as these are new models if I didn't know better myself I'd say they were the old stock repainted. 

6 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

These are newly produced models and the usual 512 of each has not been produced

I have put some pics on the other thread to show a couple of pics of the old and new coaches

And please don't ask me any stupid questions, I only took the pics!

So how many of each then, do you know?

1 hour ago, Northman said:

Should that gap be there between door and roof?

That's the same problem that the model suffered from and is still in the new versions. The roof bowing at the ends. Some are effected more than others it's pot luck to get good or bad ones. The IE and Galway ones tended not to suffer from it compared to the CIE models. 

Well they look really nice and I would buy if I had some money spare .I am sure they will fly off the shelves and quite a few will get white lines added !  On reflection if I do not eat for a couple of weeks I could afford a couple...  

Hopefully a bit of glue and elastic bands will pull roof down - not a "deal breaker" compared to getting the black band sprayed well and parallel  which afflicted a few of the earlier batch.  

As noted     just need the 121 to land - must be soon as I have started gluing bits on my kit.  As oft banged on about the A class would be fine as well !!!! 

• Funny 1

Yes deciding where to target model budgets in 2018 may be challenging with the abundance of new models shipping and about to ship from both IRM and MM and especially the 121 due near year end. I've warmed somewhat towards these CIE Mk2 coaches after seeing how they can look once weathered. 

I bought the EGV from the original batch and added the white lining so i could run it with my IE Mk2's, and to be honest i can't tell the difference when there sitting beside each other. Looking at the pics Railer posted the problem with the black line seems to be sorted but the shade of orange looks no darker to me than it did previously.

9 hours ago, jason brady said:

I bought the EGV from the original batch and added the white lining so i could run it with my IE Mk2's, and to be honest i can't tell the difference when there sitting beside each other. Looking at the pics Railer posted the problem with the black line seems to be sorted but the shade of orange looks no darker to me than it did previously.

Exactly what I did.  These coaches make a good "canvas" for starters , sure they will sell well as a result and cover a wider historical range.  

For a friend, I weathered this one from the original batch. I have since warmed to the Super Train livery after initially finding it rather dull. Combination of powders applied wet using paint brush and cotton buds, with airbrush for overall dusting to tone down that yellow shade of orange plastic on all the MM mk2ds.

IMG_6082.jpg

• Like 6